Not all Big Tech stocks will soar in 2021, says Gene Munster. He breaks down 2 FAANG companies that will continue to gain and 2 that will lag.
FAANG stockswill diverge in 2021 as some names soar and some lag behind, Loup Venturesfounder Gene Munstertold CNBC on Thursday.
- While Apple and Amazon were both up roughly 80% in 2020, and Netflix was up roughly 70%, the two other FAANG behemoths, Facebook and Google's parent Alphabet, only gained about 30%. That's less than the overall Nasdaq, which was up 43% in 2020.
- "The trade of advertising tech did not work in 2020," Munster said, and that likely won't change in 2021.
- The venture capitalist said Amazon and
Applewill do well next year, adding Apple's stock could reach $200. That would propel Apple to a $3 trillion valuation.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The venture capitalist and former tech stocks analyst told CNBC on Thursday that investors need to pay close attention to individual technology companies to find out what worked in 2020, and what didn't.
While Apple and Amazon were both up roughly 80%, and Netflix was up about 70%, the two other FAANG behemoths, Facebook and Google's parent Alphabet, only gained about 30%. That's less than the overall Nasdaq, which was up 43% in 2020.
"The trade of advertising tech did not work in 2020," Munster said, explaining
Munster said that in 2021, top performance is going to come from Apple, which he believes could gain 51% to $200. That price gain would push Apple's market capitalization to over $3 trillion.
Read more:JPMorgan unveils its 50 'most compelling' stock picks to buy for 2021 - and details why each one will be a top performer
Munster also said that Amazon will do well, while Facebook and Netflix will "start to fade away as FAANG fractures in 2021."
Calling a bubble in Big Tech stocks has been a prominent concern throughout 2020 as the technology sector soared. But Munster said investors shouldn't label the entire
Instead, investors should examine individual technology companies and brace for a FAANG fracturing.
Read more:We spoke with Wall Street's 9 best-performing fund managers of 2020 to learn how they crushed the chaotic market - and compile the biggest bets they're making for 2021
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- The CEO of software giant Intuit, which has avoided mass layoffs, says tech firms axed jobs because they misread the pandemic
- Elon Musk told Chinese Tesla workers in a late night speech that their hard work 'warms my heart' — 6 weeks after some complained about bonus cuts
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala