India to assume G20 Presidency for one year from December 2022; host over 200 meetings and MEA lists priorities
AdvertisementIn a statement on Tuesday, the
Under the role, India is expected to host over 200 G20 meetings across the country, beginning from this December.
The G20 Leaders' Summit at the level of Heads of State Government is scheduled to be held on September 9-10, 2023 in New Delhi, said the
The G20 is an inter-governmental forum of the world's major developed and developing economies.
It comprises 19 countries -- Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, the UK, the US -- and the European Union (EU).
Collectively, the G20 accounts for 85 per cent of the global GDP, 75 per cent of international trade and two-thirds of the world population, making it the premier forum for international economic cooperation.
India is part of the G20 Troika (current, previous and incoming G20 Presidencies), which includes Indonesia and Italy.
"During our Presidency, India, Indonesia and Brazil would form the Troika. This would be the first time when the Troika would consist of three developing countries and emerging economies, providing them a greater voice," the statement said.
The G20 currently comprises Finance Track, with eight workstreams (Global Macroeconomic Policies, Infrastructure Financing, International Financial Architecture, Sustainable Finance, Financial Inclusion, Health Finance, International Taxation, Financial Sector Reforms)
Sherpa Track, with 12 workstreams -- Anti-corruption, Agriculture, Culture, Development, Digital Economy, Employment, Environment and Climate, Education, Energy Transition, Health, Trade and Investment, Tourism.
Ten Engagement Groups of private sector/civil society/independent bodies (Business 20, Civil 20, Labour 20,
In addition to G20 members, there has been a tradition of the G20 Presidency inviting some guest countries and international organizations to its meetings and summit.
Accordingly, in addition to regular international organizations (UN, IMF,
India, as G20 Presidency, will be inviting Bangladesh, Egypt,
Popular on BI
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- The CEO of software giant Intuit, which has avoided mass layoffs, says tech firms axed jobs because they misread the pandemic
- I flew cross-country with my 5-month-old son on my lap. Next time, I'm paying full price for him to have his own seat.
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala