Taco Bell is trying to win over vegetarian diners with a new menu test
- Taco Bell is testing a vegetarian menu in its locations in the Dallas, Texas, area.
- The menu includes two new items: the Vegetarian Crunchwrap Supreme and the Vegetarian Quesarito.
- "Our goal is to find ways to incorporate more plant-forward options in the future without sacrificing the big, bold flavors and value," Missy Schaaphok, manager of global nutrition and sustainability at Taco Bell, told Business Insider.
Taco Bell is testing a vegetarian menu in its Dallas, Texas, locations.The menu will feature two new items - the Vegetarian Crunchwrap Supreme and the Vegetarian Quesarito, both of which are packed with black beans - and the 7-Layer Burrito. Each of the new menu items is American Vegetarian Association-certified.
But by dedicating a menu entirely to vegetarian items, Taco Bell is putting its meat-free options front and center."Our goal is to find ways to incorporate more plant-forward options in the future without sacrificing the big, bold flavors and value," Missy Schaaphok, manager of global nutrition and sustainability at Taco Bell, told Business Insider. "Our new in-store vegetarian menu being tested in Dallas reflects the same uniquely Taco Bell standards our existing customers know and love, while appealing to other consumers looking to try new food items that appeal to their dietary lifestyle."
Taco Bell sells 350 million vegetarian items a year, Schaaphok said, and about 9% of all items ordered at Taco Bell are either vegetarian or made vegetarian by some type of substitution or removal.Taco Bell isn't the first chain to appeal to specific diets with a dedicated menu. In January, Chipotle rolled out new menu items aimed at paleo, Whole30, and keto dieters.See Taco Bell's new vegetarian menu:
The $3.70 Vegetarian Crunchwrap Supreme is a twist on the classic Taco Bell menu item with black beans.
The $3.05 Vegetarian Quesarito also relies on black beans, plus cheese and sauce.Advertisement
The Vegetarian 7-Layer Burrito costs $3.22.
Taco Bell also recently started selling two new zero-sugar beverages: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Mountain Dew Baja Blast Zero Sugar. The chain has committed to having at least 50% of its medium fountain beverages contain less than 100 calories and less than 20 grams of sugar by 2022.Advertisement
Anyone ordering through Taco Bell's website or app can get a small size of the new drinks for free through Wednesday.
- HUL aims to achieve 100% plastic waste collection this year
- India now allows you to avail a discount on flight ticket if you are not carrying a check-in baggage
- Leader of Opposition, 4 other Cong MLAs suspended for rest of Budget session over alleged manhandling of Himachal Pradesh Governor. PTI DJI SMN ASH ASH
- Levi’s ad with global ambassador Deepika Padukone aims at inspiring a culture of sisterhood and celebrate individuality
- Property tax in Telangana can now be paid via WhatsApp