Target cash registers across the US are crashing, creating massive lines of frustrated customers in 'The Great Target Outage of 2019'
John Minchillo/AP Images
- Target cash registers across the US crashed on Saturday afternoon, creating long lines and crowds of frustrated customers unable to check out from stores.
- The incident was dubbed "The Great Target Outage of '19" on social media, with many comparing Target's struggles to the disastrous Fyre Festival.
- "We're aware that guests are currently unable to make purchases at Target stores," Target tweeted at 3:08 p.m. ET. "Our teams are troubleshooting now and we apologize for the inconvenience. We will provide an update as soon as possible."
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Target faced massive technical difficulties on Saturday, as customers across the US found themselves unable to check out at the retailer.At around 2 p.m. ET, Target customers at locations across the US began reporting malfunctioning cash registers on social media. Soon, long lines formed, as customers were unable to check out. Advertisement
According to one Target employee who reached out to Business Insider, workers were told that the retailer was facing a global cash register outage. Other employees shared similar reports on social media.
Employees handed out free samples to frustrated customers.
Others asked that customers not lash out at Target workers - who were stressed themselves. Advertisement
The systems issue - dubbed "The Great Target Outage of 2019" on social media - soon took on almost mythical qualities.
Some compared the incident to the disastrous Fyre Festival. Advertisement
"We're aware that guests are currently unable to make purchases at Target stores," a Target representative said in an e-mailed statement to Business Insider. "Our teams are troubleshooting now and we apologize for the inconvenience. We will provide an update as soon as possible."
The elderly woman behind me is shouting to all who will listen: "this is not a country bumpkin operation! Surely there is some sort of secret backup technology!" #targetcrash2019- Jessica Kielblock (@JessKills) June 15, 2019
All of the registers are down at Target. They're passing out rations to appease the crowd pic.twitter.com/FmlbHG7iii- Wesley Boutilier (@WesleyBout) June 15, 2019
Please don't harass Target Team Members, we have no control over Target falling. Be kind & be patient during our Armageddon #targetdown- Sooshi (@iiTsSooshi) June 15, 2019
Where were you during the Great Target Outage of '19?- Patrick J. (@pattyotool) June 15, 2019
Target is currently under a "global cash register outage" and I think this is the closest I've ever been to experiencing an apocalypse. I think people are gonna start rioting soon.- Jen Jacobs (@JenJacobs_) June 15, 2019
Yo, I'm at target and it just became Fyre Fest.- Samuel Arias (@imsamarias) June 15, 2019
Target's registers being down is the Fyre Fest of 2019 pic.twitter.com/GEx2Okw7me- Ariana (@arianafeller) June 15, 2019
- Best budget microwave ovens in India
- Best coffee mugs for cosy conversations & more
- First Man, Bandish Bandits— and other shows that you can watch on Netflix, Zee5, Disney+ Hotstar, and Amazon Prime
- A WhatsApp message, six weeks of talks and a $300 million deal – how Karan Bajaj sold his less than 18-month old startup White Hat Jr to Byju’s
- Netflix launches Hindi user interface in India — two years after Amazon Prime Video