'Terminator Genisys' had a rough weekend at the box office
"Terminator Genisys," the fifth film in the franchise, grossed just $44.2 million over the five-day holiday weekend.
In three days, the film made $28.7 million.
Remember, it was less than a month ago that the fourth installment of "Jurassic World" opened to a surprising $209 million.
A week after that, Disney and Pixar's "Inside Out" had a $90 million opening weekend.
"Genisys" had the worst opening of nearly all the "Terminator" movies.
|Movie||Release date||Opening Weekend (3-day)||Budget||Worldwide Gross|
|"The Terminator"||10/26/84||$4 million||$6.4 million||$78.4 million|
|"Terminator 2: Judgment Day"||7/3/91||$31.8 million||$102 million||$519 million|
|"Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines"||7/2/03||$44 million||$200 million||$433.4 million|
|"Terminator Salvation"||5/21/09||$42.6 million||$200 million||$371.4 million|
|"Terminator Genisys"||7/1/15||$28.7 million||$155 million||$129.7 million so far|
Mind you, the original "Terminator" film opened in 1984.
"Terminator Genisys" had the widest release of any "Terminator" film opening in 3,758 theaters. The film was made on an estimated $155 million budget.
The film is Schwarzenegger's fifth movie in a row to opening under $30 million in a pure three-day box-office weekend proving American audiences are pretty much over the "Terminator" actor.
Paramount, which released the film, appeared to be aware of it, focusing a big portion of its publicity ahead of the domestic release overseas. So it's little surprise the film opened to $85 million in foreign grosses. Schwarzenegger's still a star - just internationally.
Instead, fans continued to head out to see Universal's "Jurassic World" and Disney and Pixar's "Inside Out."
For the fourth weekend in a row, the fourth film in the dinosaur franchise starring Chris Pratt has led the box-office weekend.
Chuck Zlotnick/Universal Pictures
"Jurassic World" has now made over $1.3 billion at theaters.
Meanwhile "Inside Out" has now made $363 million worldwide.
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Qatar Airways says it is not accepting passengers on its flights from 2 African nations immediately due to the new Omicron variant
- Gautam Adani, the man who may soon be Asia's richest person, is a college dropout who survived the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks and says he was once kidnapped for ransom
- Paytm Q2 result — Operational revenue crosses ₹1000 crore, loss widens by ₹37 crore
- These Indian states have the highest number of international airports; UP tops the list
- Centre raises Bengal labour budget for creation of 27 cr man-days
- Over a million Ethereum tokens have been burned since the big upgrade, but transaction costs are still a pain point for the network
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200