The 10 most important things in the world right now
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
Hello! Here's what's happening on Tuesday.1. US President Donald Trump apologized to Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh for "pain and suffering" he faced during the confirmation process. Trump was talking about the fallout from multiple sexual misconduct allegations leveled against Kavanaugh during the final weeks of his confirmation hearings in the Senate.Advertisement
2. A second man accused of poisoning former Russian spy Sergei Skripal has been identified as a Russian military doctor. The two men have claimed they visited the UK as "tourists."
3. China says it detained missing Interpol chief Meng Hongwei over bribery allegations. Meng vanished after traveling to China, his native country, on September 29, and had resigned from his post.4. A top Trump campaign official requested help from an Israeli company to use social media to manipulate the 2016 election. Rick Gates has also pleaded guilty to conspiracy against the United States and making false statements.
5. Google shutdown its Google+ social network after reports of a huge security lapse. Company managers decided not to disclose it for fear of backlash following the Cambridge Analytica scandal at Facebook.6. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo asked Saudi Arabia to conduct a "thorough investigation into disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Khashoggi is a prominent critic of the Saudi government and his disappearance has sparked international fear that he may have been harmed.7. Two people have died after a massive sinkhole opened up underneath them on a sidewalk in China. Four people fell into the hole, including a child who survived the drop. Advertisement
8. The International Monetary Fund reduced its outlook on the global economy. It cited rising interest rates and heightened trade tensions.Hurricane Michael is heading toward Florida's Gulf Coast and is expected to make landfall on Wednesday. Experts say the storm is likely to reach at least Category 3 strength by Tuesday night local time, making it a major hurricane.Advertisement
- Delhi's own school education board to be operational by next year — but won’t be simply imposed on government schools
- India's Railway Police station returns a man's wallet lost 14 year ago
- The largest AI language model ever created can think, read and write like a human — but it can mess up like a human too
- Mahinda Rajapaksa takes oath as the Prime Minister of Sri Lanka for the fourth time
- IN PICS: Devastating images of floods wreaking havoc in Karnataka, Kerala, Uttar Pradesh and Assam