The 10 most important things in the world right now
Hello! Here's everything you need to know on Tuesday, January 15.
1. Canada just joined the US in raising its travel warning for China after one of its citizens was sentenced to death. Both countries are now advising extreme caution at what they call China's arbitrary application of local laws.2. The record government shutdown could end up being a great big black hole for the US economy. If President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to dig in for "months," the economy will pay.
3. TSA agents nationwide are working without pay during the government shutdown - and a shortage of agents is impacting airports. Houston in particular has this problem, and frustrated travelers are venting all over social media.
4. Apple's "pricing hubris" and its weak China situation is leading the tech giant toward a "code red," Dan Ives said in a research note. Business Insider's Troy Wolverton explains why.
5. Apple's "plunging share price" and its weak China situation may also signal a looming Chinese trade recession. Business Insider Australia's David Scutt breaks down what you need to know.
6. President Donald Trump's inauguration committee raised a record-braking $107 million, and a new report shows how some of it was spent. We're talking $10,000 to do make-up for 20 people.
7. Germany is reportedly on the cusp of ordering Facebook to halt its collection of certain user data. Regulators have been investigating Facebook since 2016.8. Cathay Pacific accidentally sold first class tickets at a massive discount for the second time this year. Cue Britney Spears' classic "Oops!...I Did It Again."
9. We are now entering the most important earnings season in recent memory. And these earnings reports could impact the future of the stock market.
10. Gillette knew perfectly that its controversial #MeToo ad would spark trouble. Here's why the company welcomed the backlash and went ahead with it anyway.
The President of the United States welcomed the Clemson Tigers to the White House. With a magnificent fast-food buffet of Wendy's, McDonald's, and pizza.