The best cooling mattress toppers you can buy
- If you sleep hot, dread warm summer nights, or suffer from night sweats, a cooling mattress topper can help to regulate your bed's temperature for a better night's sleep.
- Our top pick, the Therpedic Tru-Cool 3-inch Serene Foam Performance Mattress Topper, offers a combination of cooling and other valuable benefits, like reduced motion transfer, to help you get to sleep and stay asleep.
Have you ever woken up in the middle of the night to desperately kick off your covers and wait as the cooler air washes over you? Do you dread getting into bed in the summer, knowing that your mattress is going to be uncomfortably warm? Whether you're someone who just sleeps hot or needs to get better sleep during warm weather, investing in a cooling mattress topper can make you more comfortable and help you to sleep through the night.
When your bed isn't working for you, buying a mattress topper can help to correct some of the issues at a more affordable cost than you'll see if you buy a new mattress. They can refresh an older mattress, or they can add cushion, breathability, or cooling properties to a newer mattress that you don't want to replace.
These mattress toppers - as opposed to mattress pads or covers - offer significant cushion and padding in addition to their cooling properties. Some are thicker than others, so you'll want to think about how much height they'll add to your bed when deciding which product is right for you. Also be sure to consider whether you'll like a topper that's firmer or softer, since everyone has different preferences.The mattress toppers in this guide all offer some sort of cooling effect. For the best results, pair them with breathable sheets and comforters, and try to lower the temperature of your bedroom before going to bed. The National Sleep Foundation states that the ideal bedroom temperature is between 60 and 67 degrees Fahrenheit. It's easier to fall asleep when your room is cool, rather than hot, so taking steps to keep your bed and bedroom cool can help you to both fall asleep and stay asleep.
Buying a mattress topper can be a challenge, since you can't try them out and most stores don't select a wide variety of them for you to feel and inspect in person. We have researched and ranked the following toppers according to their cooling effect, their benefits, such as washable covers and reduced motion transfer, their price, and their overall performance, taking the guesswork out of your purchase.
Here are the best cooling mattress toppers in 2019:
- Best cooling mattress topper overall: Therapedic Tru-Cool 3-inch Serene Foam Mattress Topper
- Best cooling mattress topper for pain relief: Overstock Cooling Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress
- Best charcoal cooling mattress topper: 3-inch Lucid Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Best luxury cooling mattress topper: PlushBeds Luxury Wool Topper
- Best intense cooling mattress topper: Cool Flash Sleeping Gel Body Pad
Keep scrolling to check out our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.