The best food storage container sets you can buy
The Insider Picks team writes about stuff we think you'll like. Business Insider has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase.
- Proper food storage helps you save money, stay healthy, and save space in your home.
- Of all the storage container sets we've tried, OXO's Good Grips 5-Piece Airtight POP Container Set is the best.
- The containers have an ingenious one-button design that makes it easy to pop the containers open and reseal them when you're done, so your food stays fresh.
Preparing your own meals is a great way to ensure the foods you and your family eat are tasty, healthy, and affordable, but if you want to enjoy a wide variety of home cooked cuisine, you need to stock your fridge, freezer, and pantry with plenty of eats. Almost invariably, the well-stocked kitchen is also one where lots of food is thrown away. According to a 2012 study conducted by the National Resources Defense Council, Americans toss out about $165 billion worth of edible good each year, which amounts to more than $2,000 in annual food waste for the average household in the United States.
In terms of physical volume, the NRDC report estimated that we're throwing away some 35 million tons of food each year, waste that largely putrefies in landfills and adds greenhouse gasses to the atmosphere on top of the economic costs. But before we get any more heavy-handed here, let's look at the bright side. While food waste is a major problem writ large, there's a pretty easy solution available to each and every household: better food storage systems.
With the right food storage containers, you'll be able to preserve foods for longer in the fridge or freezer, save space on shelves, in drawers, and in the pantry, and better plan out your meal prep, too. In our guide, you'll find food storage containers designed especially for fresh fruits and veggies (AKA produce) alongside containers designed to hold anything from soup to pasta to cookies.
We've got disposable options that are nonetheless microwave and freezer safe and we've got glass containers that are safe for use in those appliances as well as in the dishwasher and oven. With a few of these fine food storage systems added into your kitchen's lineup, your household will waste less food, experience less clutter, and you might just find a reduction in your grocery bill, too.
Here are the best food storage containers you can buy:
- Best food storage container set overall: OXO Good Grips 5-Piece Airtight POP Container Set
- Best food storage container set under $40: Equinox International Royal Storage Container Set
- Best glass storage containers: Jalousie Borosilicate Glass Food Container Set
- Best budget food storage containers: Rubbermaid Brilliance Food Storage Containers
- Best food storage containers for produce: OXO Good Grips GreenSaver Produce Keeper Set
Updated on 01/18/2019 by Malarie Gokey: Added the OXO POP containers as our top pick based on testing. Updated prices and formatting.
Read on in the slides below to check out our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.