The city in every state where you're most likely to be audited by the IRS
- Just over 1 million tax returns were audited by the IRS in 2017.
- Though that number represents a fraction of the 196 million tax returns filed that year, many Americans still worry about their returns being audited and anxiously try to avoid it.
- Depending on where you live, having your tax return audited may be more common than other parts of the country or state.
- Here are the cities in every state with the highest tax audit rates.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
No one likes to learn their income tax return has been audited by the IRS. In fact, many people wonder whether they should hire a professional come tax season in order to avoid mistakes and an unwanted audit.
For most people, the likelihood of being audited is relatively low. In 2017, the IRS audited just 1.1 million tax returns out of the 196 million that were filed that year. However, according to a new report by 24/7 Wall St., residents living in some cities across the United States report much higher audit rates.
To gather a list of the most audited city in every US state, 24/7 Wall St. analyzed data from tax analysis website Tax Notes on tax returns and audits in 382 metropolitan areas. They compiled the weighted averages for audit rates using the 2017 American Consumer Survey population estimates on the county level. Median household incomes and poverty rates for each city and state were collected through the ACS as well.
Here are the most audited cities in every state, plus the statewide audit rate, median household income, and poverty rate.