The founder of Nasty Gal explains why she didn't buy anything when she became a millionaire
Courtesy of Nasty Gal
In fact, the first thing she sold online wasn't clothing - it was a stolen book.
"Books were an easy entry point for a novice shoplifter like me," she writes in her book "#GIRLBOSS."
Today, she has no reason to shoplift or dumpster dive: She's worth an estimated $250 million.
The self-made millionaire started to see major financial gains in 2010: "After Nasty Gal moved off eBay and transitioned to a full-fledged business, I had almost $1 million cash in the bank," she writes.
While seven figures would cue most people to go on a shopping spree, Amoruso kept her wallet closed.
A "big no-no is increasing your spending as soon as your income increases," she explains. "I have always been careful to avoid this pitfall."
Part of her resistance to lifestyle inflation came from the fact that she simply didn't have time to spend. "For a long time I was so focused on growing the business that spending money on myself didn't even cross my mind," she writes. "Even if I had wanted to drop $500 on a pair of shoes, I was just too busy."
She essentially tricked herself into saving money, she explains: "When your time spent making money is significantly greater than your time spent spending money, you will be amazed at how much you can save without even really thinking about it."
And besides, she says, "You can't act like you've arrived when you're only just receiving the invitation."
NOW WATCH: 4 lottery winners who lost it all
- Ethereum may offer the best returns, but investors have been pulling away over the last two weeks
- Google starts starts testing new safety section for apps, feature to go live in February 2022
- Horlicks and Boost maker HUL sees slowdown in food segment in the last three months
- Researchers develop AI-based algorithm that can detect unseen signs of heart failure
- Zoho adds features that can turn a video call into remote assistance for repairing cars, appliances and more
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Google Pixel 6 series
- CBSE examdate sheet
- Tata Punch Price
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- vodafone Idea News
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons