The perks of REI's lifetime membership far outweigh its one-time $20 cost
Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- The $20 lifetime REI membership is a great deal.
- Members receive 10% off of almost everything in the store automatically (paid back in an annual dividend), access to members-only deals, deep discounts on REI classes, events, and adventures, and can vote on the company's board of directors, among other perks.
- The $20 fee quickly pays for itself, especially if you or someone in your family plan to buy from REI.
There are the obvious benefits: REI is a household name in the outdoors world for good reason, and carries a dauntingly huge selection. They have a strong sense of community and awesome customer service, the latter of which I'm willing to wager is influenced by the former. If you spend over $50, you get free shipping. And if you want to look online to see if a product is stocked locally to buy and pick up in person at your convenience, you can do that, too.Not to mention, they treat their employees pretty dang well, with some of the best benefits for a part-time job out there; and that's always something worth supporting, especially if it doesn't change your shopping experience.
If you're like most customers, you might be unsure the benefits are actually worth parting with $20 upfront - even if they are for a lifetime. You might be concerned you won't shop there frequently enough, being more price-tag loyal than retailer. Or, if you're already stocked with gear or just like to travel light, you might be wondering how frequently you'd really use it anyway.But keeping all these things in mind, I'm convinced REI's co-op membership is worth it, even if it's just for a new pair of boots in four years. REI has one of the best, no-questions-asked return policies (though curtailed in recent years due to policy abuse), meaning that if you do buy the same pair somewhere else for less, you may come to regret it when it's not as simple to replace after an unfortunate break. And if you happen to lose your receipt, like most of us are prone to do, your membership keeps a log of everything you've bought, for a seamless process. And when all are considered together, that $20 price tag turns out to be a great value.
Below, I take you through all the benefits that come with an REI membership, so you can see for yourself.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
Receive 10% back on your purchases
Get members-only special offersAdvertisement
Play, learn, and travel for less
Access in-store REI Garage salesAdvertisement
Have a direct impact on the retailer itself
Be a part of something goodAdvertisement
- Commonwealth, women sailing crew to fight marine pollution
- Was Sebamed’s competitive strategy strong enough to leave a long-lasting mark on the consumer’s mind?
- Sensex breaches the historic 50,000 mark as Joe Biden's swearing in triggers a cheer in Indian markets
- JBL Flip 5, boAt Stone 1000 and other Bluetooth speakers on discount on Amazon Great Republic Day sale
- Bollywood leading actresses are writing big cheques for Indian startups