The Rise of Social TV: How Social Media Is Amplifying TV Advertising
Research has shown that TV-watching and
TV industry players and TV-focused marketers realized they could piggyback on this new consumer habit. The idea was not to compete with social media, but to use it so that televised shows, events, and ad campaigns won more audience and audience participation.
Social TV is how these ideas are being made tangible.
In a new report from BI Intelligence, we define what social TV is, analyze the most important social TV trends, examine the audience for social TV, detail how social TV is forcing broadcasters and advertisers to rethink their strategies, and look at how data vendors are slicing and dicing all that TV-linked social chatter.
Here's an overview of the rise of social TV:
- There's a lot at stake: $350 billion was spent on TV ads globally in 2012. If social TV can help make that
advertisingmore effective, or help social media skim some of those dollars, the opportunity is there for social TV to become a major business in its own right.
- Social TV is already here: It's already an established habit with audiences around the world, with majorities of social media users saying they routinely comment about TV shows or events. activity has grown hand-in-hand with the
mobileexplosion. Smartphones and tablets have made it much more convenient for people to comment on TV, even as they watch it. Forty percent or more of U.S. mobile audiences browsed social media on their tablets or smartphones while watching TV. For smartphone users, social media is a more popular companion activity during TV-watching than shopping.
- It can be used in many valuable ways: There are variety of applications for social TV, including support for TV ad sales, optimizing TV ad buys, making ad buys more efficient, as a complement to audience measurement, and eventually, audience forecasting and real-time optimization. Social TV data can be like having a thousands-strong focus group at your fingertips. Applied well, social TV can create a positive feedback loop for generating ultra-sticky TV programming and multi-screen ad campaigns.
- All the major social media platforms are moving into the space, but
- Defines what social TV is
- Analyzes the most important social TV trends
- Examines the audience for social TV
- Looks at how social TV is forcing broadcasters and advertisers to rethink their strategies
- Details how data vendors are slicing and dicing all that TV-linked social chatter
- Best ad-free games for iPhones
- Jeep Meridian SUV launched in India – price, features and everything you need to know
- Navjot Singh Sidhu’s road rage case — looking back at the 34 year old timeline
- TCS, Wipro & Infosys saw a massive selloff after Walmart & Target’s revenues fell — explaining the domino effect
- Flipkart claims to be the second biggest ‘buy now, pay later’ player ahead of Paytm, Amazon
- Delhivery IPO allotment
- Reliance Retail
- Indian Rupee
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Disney+hotstar Subscribers
- Reliance Industries
- Venus Pipes Tubes IPO
- Matheesha Pathirana
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction