The SNP could become the UK's official opposition
Russell Cheyne / Reuters
The Scottish National Party (SNP) will request to be made the United Kingdom's new official opposition, according to the BBC.
The party led by Nicola Sturgeon will ask to replace Labour as the Conservative government's opposition on the grounds that it enjoys more support from its own MPs than the party led by under-pressure Jeremy Corbyn.
The Scottish party currently has 54 MPs in the House of Commons after a stunning performance in last year's general election. This compares to the 40 Labour MPs who expressed support for Corbyn in a confidence vote on Tuesday. In total, there are 229 Labour MPs.
This development is the latest in a crazy week in British politics. If the Speaker of the House of Commons John Bercow accepts the SNP's request, it would mean that a party with an official policy to bring Scotland out of the UK would become, in theory, the UK's government in waiting.
Even if Bercow declines the request, which is the most likely outcome, the request itself will have symbolic value and would be yet another body-blow to the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn.
Corbyn is being pressured to stand down as leader after dozens of his Shadow Cabinet have resigned - the latest being Pat Glass, who stepped down today after only being inserted into Corbyn's emergency cabinet over the weekend.
The SNP have cited parliamentary rules which state the official opposition must be "prepared to assume power" and has indicated that it would be able to fill all of the shadow posts if granted opposition status, the BBC reports.
The crisis that is engulfing Labour means that the party is unable to meet this basic expectation of the opposition. For example, Jeremy Corbyn has yet to appoint a shadow Scottish secretary.
- Xiaomi Pad 5 Review - Is it best Android alternate to iPad Air?
- Mayhem Studios announces a new battle royale game with locations, gangs and other elements depicting India
- Technique used to track ants’ movement might soon help scientists in measuring snow depth from space
- Three senior Twitter employees quit amid ongoing Musk-Agrawal internet war
- Indian CEOs could get the best salary hike in 5 years; and they already make ₹7 crore/yr on an average
- Delhivery IPO
- Reliance Retail
- Indian Rupee
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Disney+hotstar Subscribers
- Reliance Industries
- Venus Pipes Tubes IPO
- Matheesha Pathirana
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction