Jeff Bezos partied on billionaire David Geffen's $590 million superyacht in the Balearics - here's a look at the yacht, which has hosted everyone from Oprah Winfrey to Barack Obama
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos was spotted on billionaire David Geffen's superyacht, Rising Sun, this week.
- Geffen reportedly paid $590 million for the yacht, which previously belonged to Oracle founder Larry Ellison.
- Rising Sun is something of a playground for the rich and famous, as Geffen has been known to host celebrities like Oprah Winfrey and Leonardo DiCaprio on board.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
But Bezos and crew aren't the first to cruise the high seas with Geffen, who appears to loves to hosting celebrities, musicians, and actors alike. Leonardo DiCaprio, Bradley Cooper, Oprah Winfrey, and Barack and Michelle Obama have also enjoyed Geffen's 400-foot-plus superyacht in the past.Here's a look at Rising Sun - and the big names that have been on board.
Entertainment mogul David Geffen, founder of DreamWorks, SKG, Asylum Records, Geffen Records, and DGS Records, owns Rising Sun. According to Forbes, he's worth $8.2 billion.
The 454-foot megayacht was originally built for Oracle founder Larry Ellison. Geffen bought a half-share in 2007 and the other half in 2010, totaling $590 million.Advertisement
The exact value of the superyacht is unclear. However, one recent estimate put its value at $300 million.
Rising Sun was constructed by German shipbuilder Lürssen. Once Geffen became owner, he had the yacht refitted over a six-month period.Advertisement
The yacht can accommodate 18 guests and a staff of 55 people. It even has a basketball court.
The top deck is dedicated entirely to the owner and includes a double-height cinema.Advertisement
Geffen has cruised everywhere from St. Barth's and the Tobago Cays to Portofino and Ibiza, according to his Instagram — but not without a few friends.
Rising Sun is a great place for entertaining. Scroll through Geffen's Instagram feed, and you'll find that he's hosted many a celebrity guest on board.Advertisement
Most recently, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, investment banker Lloyd Blankfein, and model Karlie Kloss were spotted aboard in the Balearics.
And Orlando Bloom was on board just last month.Advertisement
Oprah, Bradley Cooper, and Tom Hanks have also joined Geffen to cruise the high seas.
Geffen has also hosted Chris Rock ...Advertisement
... and Bruce Springsteen.
That's not to mention Mariah Carey ...Advertisement
... and Leonardo DiCaprio.
But Geffen doesn't just invite actors, musicians, and models. In 2017, Barack and Michelle Obama were spotted on board while the yacht was in French Polynesia.Advertisement
Geffen knows how to party with the rich and famous — and in style.
While the combined $590 million that Geffen spent to buy Rising Sun is an astronomical figure, it pales in comparison to the world's most expensive yacht. That title goes to Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich's yacht Eclipse, which is estimated to be worth anywhere from $600 million to $1.5 billion.Advertisement
- Compound Interest Waiver Scheme applies to everyone but provides limited relief — Here’s everything you need to know
- Best budget truly wireless earbuds in India
- India is the most attractive emerging market for clean energy investment, says Prime Minister Modi
- Tata Motors may report loss for yet another quarter led by weak JLR sales, commercial vehicles’ pain
- Supreme Court jumps in for Amazon and Flipkart after Karnataka High Court remains mum on investigation against their anti-competitive practices for over 200 days