Billionaires in politics: The top 25 Americans who funded politics in 2018
- Sheldon and Miriam Adelson gave more money to political candidates than any other Americans in 2018. They donated over $123 million to Republicans, according to The Center for Responsive Politics.
- Political figures Micheal Bloomberg and Tom Steyer are also top donors to Democrats, according to The Center for Responsive Politics.
- Surprisingly, Charles Koch did not make the list. To be included, his donations would have needed to top $6.5 million.
- Collectively, the 25 billionaires and billionaire couples on the list totaled a whopping $The Center for Responsive Politics shows. in political donations in 2018, data from
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
A small group of ultra-wealthy Americans pumps a lot of money into politics.We took a look at the top 25 donors who funded American politics in 2018 and found that the list consists of, among others, an assortment of financiers, heirs, and entrepreneurs.Advertisement
The contributions of some of the largest donors - such as Sheldon and Miriam Adelson, George Soros and Tom Steyer - are well known, while other donors, like Jeff Bezos, are better known for their careers.
Interestingly, one well-known political donors - Charles Koch - did not make the list. Koch and his now-deceased brother David donated $1,816,650 to Republicans through their company Koch industries in 2018, according to The Center for Responsive Politics. To make this list, their donations would have needed to top $6.5 million.Business Insider previously reported that public affairs rank as the eighth-most popular cause that billionaires donate to. Only 12.4% of billionaires reported making donations to politics in 2018, according to Wealth-X's 2019 Billionaire Census.
Collectively, the 25 billionaires and billionaire couples on the list totaled a whopping $The Center for Responsive Politics shows.Keep reading to learn more about the country's biggest political donors, ranked in order of their donations during the 2018 election cycle by in political donations in 2018, data from The Center for Responsive Politics. Each donor's net worth, where available, was sourced from Forbes unless otherwise specified. Their party affiliations are listed according to The Center for Responsive Politics.
25. Billionaire hedge-fund manager Paul Singer gave $6.4 million to Republicans, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.
24. Former Breitbart News investor Robert Mercer and his wife Diana have given $6,544,024 to conservatives.Advertisement
23. CEO of Arkansas-based chicken producer Mountaire Corp, Ronald Cameron, and his wife Nina donated nearly $6.6 million to Republicans.
22. Indiana real-estate developer Paul Skjodt and philanthropist Cynthia Simon-Skjodt gave $6.8 million to Democrats through their foundation.Advertisement
21. Jeffrey and Janine Yass donated $7.3 million to conservatives.
20. Investor Joshua Bekenstein and philanthropist Anita Bekenstein gave $7.7 million to Democrats.Advertisement
19. Facebook cofounder Dustin Moskovitz and his wife, former Wall Street Journal reporter Cari Tuna, donated $7.7 million to Democrats.
18. Home Depot cofounder Bernard Marcus and his wife, Billi Wilma, gave nearly $8 million to Republicans.Advertisement
17. Charles Schwab, the founder of the eponymous brokerage firm, and his wife Helen gave $8,531,440 to Republicans.
16. LinkedIn cofounder Reid Hoffman donated $9,315,826, mostly to Democrats.Advertisement
15. Investor George Marcus and his wife Judith gave $9,610,125, mostly to Democrats.
14. Heiress Deborah Simon donated $9.7 million to Democrats.Advertisement
13. Investor Timothy Mellon gave $10 million, mostly to Republicans.
12. Jeff and MacKenzie Bezos donated $10,186,170 in total to candidates of both parties.Advertisement
11. California-based psychiatrist Karla Jurvetson donated $12 million to Democrats.
10. Chicago-based newspaper publisher Fred Eychaner gave $12,665,400 to Democrats.Advertisement
9. Blackstone Group CEO Stephen Schwarzman and his wife Christine gave $12,882,200 to Republicans.
8. Hedge-fund manager Kenneth Griffin donated $19,225,125 to Republicans.Advertisement
7. Billionaire financier George Soros donated over $20 million to Democrats.
6. James and Marilyn Simons gave $22 million to Democrats.Advertisement
5. Hedge-fund manager S. Donald Sussman donated over $27 million to Democrats in 2018.
4. Uline CEO Richard Uihlein and his wife Elizabeth donated almost $40 million to Republicans.Advertisement
3. Presidential candidate Tom Steyer and his wife Kathryn Taylor gave $73,819,973 to Democrats.
2. Former New York mayor Michael Bloomberg donated over $95 million, nearly all of it to Democrats.Advertisement
1. Sheldon and Miriam Adelson gave $123,244,400 to Republicans.
- Hiring is on a slow rise in India, but the numbers are nowhere close to pre-COVID levels
- Microsoft confirms Xbox Series X to launch in November
- Hero Moto’s lost sales will take a toll on its earnings — profit likely to fall over 88% in the first quarter
- Kareena Kapoor Khan and Saif Ali Khan are expecting their second child
- Bombay High Court reserves verdict on pleas against TRAI's new tariff order