Chinese bloggers reportedly said Tesla threatened to sue them after they posted negative comments about Elon Musk's company
- Chinese bloggers said
Teslathreatened a defamation lawsuitover negative social media posts.
- The electric carmaker has faced criticism in
Chinaover safety concerns related to its brakes.
- Several users have retracted negative statements about Tesla on Chinese social media.
Chinese bloggers said Tesla threatened to hit them with a defamation lawsuit after they posted negative comments online about the electric carmaker, Financial Times reported.Tesla has faced an onslaught of criticism in the world's largest electric car market the last few months, after a series of Tesla crashes in China led to safety concerns surrounding the viability of the company's brake system. Hundreds of users on popular Chinese blog sites like Weibo have expressed concern over the safety of Tesla vehicles.
Since, several accounts have published public apologies. At least two, issued apologies on Douyin, China's version of TikTok, saying their previous posts fabricated issues with Tesla's
A lawyer at Shanghai Shenlun, Xia Hailong, told Financial Times Tesla would likely win a defamation lawsuit, following in the footsteps of other companies like Tencent.In April, a woman went viral on social media when she climbed on top a Tesla car at the Shanghai Auto Show, protesting an alleged brake malfunction in her electric car. On Wednesday, the same woman said on Jinri Toutiao that she had been "extreme" in her efforts, according to the Financial Times. At the time, the incident lead to Chinese state media criticizing Tesla's response to the safety concerns and China's Central Political and Legal Affairs Commission telling Tesla it needs to "face up to the torment of its Chinese customers." The car company issued a public apology, but the negative press caused the company to lose ground in China, as car orders fell back in April. Though, the company's car orders appeared to bounce back in May, following the slump.
China represents a critical space for Tesla. It is a top market for
- Here’s how to recharge your Reliance Jio on WhatsApp
- India may classify Bitcoin as an asset class, but that may not solve the underlying problem
- Facebook rolls out new chat themes and payment options in Messenger app for US users
- Dodla Dairy's ₹520 crore IPO isn't to expand into new markets but to strengthen its foothold where it already exists
- Sun TV Network's advertising revenue shrinks, but profit jumps 11% on subscriptions