Disgraced YouTuber Shane Dawson hinted at a return while celebrating the anniversary of his makeup collection with Jeffree Star
- Shane Dawson returned to social media after being "canceled" over the summer.
- He posted several pictures celebrating the one year anniversary of releasing the Conspiracy makeup collection he made in collaboration with Jeffree Star.
- Shane Dawson has been making infrequent cameos on social media in recent months, popping up in a few YouTube videos and restocking his merch twice.
- However, it's clear from fan reactions that his comeback would not be universally welcomed.
Shane Dawson, the YouTuber who fled the platform in July after his old, offensive content resurfaced, hinted at a return to his channel over the weekend. He posted several pictures on his Instagram story on Sunday, celebrating the one year anniversary of his Conspiracy makeup line he made in collaboration with beauty YouTuber Jeffree Star.
Dawson posted several photos of him and Star at the palette's launch, calling it "one of the best moments" of his life. He also thanked Star for "believing in him."
"Sorry for all the pics. Just being emotional and sentimental tonight," Dawson said in the final Instagram slide. "I'll be back soon, I promise."
—KEEM (@KEEMSTAR) November 1, 2020
Many people thought it was strange to celebrate the makeup line and ignore the past six months since Dawson's 2020 has been defined by his history of using racial slurs, dressing in blackface, and making sexual jokes about minors and animals.
"Does Shane Dawson really think he's gonna be able to make a comeback?" said Twitter user Tanesha. "Why is this man like nothing happened? I thought we agreed he needed to retire from public life and live in obscurity..."
"Having your come up be off the backs of marginalised groups and stereotypes of those groups, it's gross and Shane Dawson shouldn't return to YouTube," tweeted beauty influencer Adrian.
It looks like Shane Dawson has been quietly planning his return for a while
Some viewers spotted that Dawson had changed his Instagram and YouTube profile photos.
"I'm thinking it's a symbol of him working on his return to the internet," tweeted YouTuber kodeerants. "Maybe a series on himself to clear his name? I'd rather watch grass grow to be honest."
—ĸodeeranтѕ (@kodeerants) July 14, 2020
Star, meanwhile, is embroiled in his own troubles after being accused by several people of physical and sexual abuse — claims he has not yet addressed. He and Dawson also found themselves to be suddenly unpopular over the summer when fellow beauty influencer Tati Westbrook accused them of manipulation and gaslighting.
While Star has done a good job of ignoring every accusation against him, Dawson posted an apology video in July called "Taking Accountability," and has been largely out of sight since. However, his presence has popped up online a few times.
While it's clear Dawson does not have universal support for a return, some would be happy to see him back. He updated his Instagram story on Sunday night saying the "sweet messages" he received "made my whole year."
- Quantum Computing Explained
- 10 Foods you should avoid eating in breakfast
- 8 Irresistible seasonal snacks to warm your winter days
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma says 'Wed in India' is a good idea for its food options
- NCLAT stays CCI penalty on NTPC in Ratnagiri Gas & Power shares issue