The Ever Given's sister ship is finally free after being stuck in Chesapeake Bay for more than a month
- Container ship
Ever Forwardhas been freed from thick mud in the Chesapeake Bay on Sunday.
- The vessel was refloated by two barges and five tugboats, more than a month after it ran aground.
A container ship, named Ever Forward, was finally freed on Sunday after being stuck in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland, for more than a month.
Evergreen, the container shipping company that owns the ship, said in a statement that the Ever Forward was refloated after multiple attempts.
"The Ever Forward was successfully refloated by salvor who has been working closely with the US Coast Guard, competent authorities of the State of Maryland, and local service providers to remedy the ship's grounded status in Chesapeake Bay," the statement said.
The ship was refloated by two barges and five tugboats. Unlike its sister ship, the Ever Given, which created a blockage last year in the
The Baltimore Sun reported that once refloated, the ship was weighed down by water tanks to ensure safe passage under the Chesapeake Bay bridge, per The Guardian.
The company said that after underwater inspections, the ship will travel to the Port of Baltimore and reload the cargo that was discharged when it got stuck, and it will resume its previously scheduled voyage.
The 1,096-foot Ever Forward is a Hong Kong-flagged vessel, which had been traveling from Baltimore to Norfolk, Virginia. The grounding of the ship did not cause any damage and there was no indication of fuel leakage or pollution, according to the statement.
The cargo, which was continuously offloaded until Saturday, was taken to Baltimore's Seagirt Marine Terminal. Salvage experts determined the process necessary to refloat the ship, The Guardian reported.
As for the Ever Forward,
- At least 21 people, mostly teens, were found dead in a South Africa bar. None of them had any visible wounds.
- Lay’s, Kurkure and Bingo are taking over Indian snacks like Aloo Bhujia, Murukku
- More than $100,000 raised for loyal Burger King employee of 27 years in GoFundMe campaign after video shows him getting 'goody' bag as reward
- Best apps for Instagram hashtags and captions
- Akash Ambani to head Reliance Jio - that’s just phase I of Mukesh Ambani’s succession plan
- Maha crisis: Thackeray appeals to the rebels to come back
- Tata Motors to increase price of its commercial vehicle segment from July 1
- Best drilling machine for home use in India