The Queen's former chef shared 2 of the palace's banana bread recipes, and the caramel version is only for the kids
- Former Buckingham Palace chef Darren McGrady said there are two different
banana breadrecipes for the royal adults and children.
- The original banana bread, made with nuts and raisins, is what the chefs keep in the palace kitchen in case the Queen has an unexpected visitor for afternoon tea.
- Another version of the recipe that substitutes the nuts and raisins for caramel is made especially for the royal children.
- McGrady shared both recipes with Insider.
The video shows McGrady making the recipe using two signature ingredients — nuts and raisins — and explaining that it would be saved in the refrigerator for emergencies, such as an unexpected afternoon tea guest at the palace.However, it turns out the palace has more than one banana bread recipe.
"At the palace, we'd have banana bread in the refrigerator all the time. So if suddenly Princess Anne turned up and wanted afternoon tea just as we were locking up the kitchen and going for a break, it was okay because we had banana bread," McGrady told Insider."It was the same if the Queen had guests. Comfort
When asked if there was one particular royal that chose it as their go-to dessert, McGrady said Prince Charles often enjoyed banana bread for afternoon tea or for picnics at Balmoral Castle.The only time McGrady would use a different recipe was when making it for the children. "The only thing it wasn't used for was the royal nursery. And that's because the royal children at the time — Wills, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie — didn't like fruit and nuts," McGrady said.
"What kids like fruit cake? They don't. So that's where my banana caramel cake came in. We'd make the banana bread with a sweet caramel frosting, and that was popular with them," he added.
McGrady shared the palace's original banana bread recipe and the caramel version with Insider.Here's the palace's original banana bread recipe:
- 8 oz self-rising flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 oz unsalted butter
- 6 oz sugar
- 4 oz golden raisins
- 1 oz chopped walnuts
- 2 oz cherries
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb ripe bananas
Method:1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Rub the butter into the flour and salt.4. Add the sugar, walnuts, raisins, and cherries.
5. Make a well and crack the eggs into the center.6. Mash the bananas, add to the eggs and vanilla paste, and mix well. 7. Add to the flour mix and stir until combined.
8. Pour into the prepared loaf tin, smooth out, and bake in the center of the oven for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Here's the caramel banana bread recipe:Ingredients:
For the cake
- 1 cup plus 1 tbs butter
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups mashed bananas (about 5 medium)
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 2 tbs milk
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
For the frosting
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
2. Prepare the sponge by creaming the butter and sugar using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.3. Add the eggs and banana and beat together. Stir in the flour, soda, sour cream, milk, and vanilla paste until there are no lumps and the batter is smooth.
4. Pour into the prepared tray, smooth out, and bake in the center of the oven for about 40 minutes or until the sponge springs back when touched and is a golden brown.5. Allow the sponge to cool completely before frosting. 6. Prepare the frosting by melting the butter and sugar in a pan. Stir without boiling for about 2 minutes.
7. Add the sour cream, bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla paste.
8. Leave the frosting to cool slightly and thicken before carefully frosting the sponge.9. Cut the cake into fingers and serve.
- UP to have cold chain space for 1.23L litres of vaccine
- Wuhan authorities now find Covid-19 on imported frozen food
- From WhiteHat Jr, Big Basket, and Unacademy to Dunzo — these are the Indian startups that reported data leaks over the past few months
- Chennai volunteer for SII's Covid vaccine claims Rs 5 cr compensation for health complications
- ASEAN distances from China's Covid vaccine diplomacy