United CEO says nearly 33% of airline staff at its Newark hub called in sick one day
United AirlinesCEO Scott Kirby said in a memo that one-third of its Newark staff called out sick in one day.
- Currently, 3,000 of the airline's employees have tested positive for
COVID, according to Kirby.
The highly contagious
On Tuesday, United CEO Scott Kirby told employees in a memo viewed by Insider that in one day alone, nearly one-third of the company's workforce at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey called out sick. The airport is one of United's largest hubs and acts as one of its primary international gateways.
Kirby did not say which specific day this occurred, but many
Kirby also revealed in the memo that prior to the company's strict vaccine mandate, one employee per week on average was dying from COVID-19. However, now that the policy is in place, the company has gone eight weeks without a COVID-related death among its vaccinated workers.
"In dealing with COVID, zero is the word that matters — zero deaths and zero hospitalizations for vaccinated employees," Kirby said.
In the memo, Kirby thanked employees for their hard work and wished a "speedy recovery" for those out sick or in quarantine.
"Our frontline teams continue to put in a tremendous effort during what I know is an incredibly challenging and stressful time … it's really made all the difference in helping us manage the impact on our customers," he said.
Are you a United employee with a story? Contact this reporter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Life and times of Rakesh Jhunjhunwala — the man behind the trader
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- Exponent Energy raises $13 million to scale up its rapid charging points across the country
- How to apply for tatkal passport online
- Apple lays off 100 contract recruiters: Report
- Brazil and Argentina not to replay Football World Cup qualifier
- Tamil Nadu to float tender for setting up 100 EV charging stations along highways