These are the programming languages that are used by America's most valuable startups, from Airbnb to WeWork
- Coding Dojo, a coding bootcamp, collected data from job postings on what programming languages, frameworks, and databases the top unicorn startups in the US are using.
- These startups include names like WeWork, Juul, Airbnb, and SpaceX.
- Click here for more BI Prime stories.
If you've ever wondered which languages that developers used to build multi-billion dollar startups like WeWork, Juul, Airbnb and SpaceX, look no further.
Coding Dojo, a coding bootcamp that trains developers and helps place them in programming roles, looked at full-time job postings from the job listing site Indeed and the developer tool website StackShare to see what languages the billion-dollar plus "unicorn" startups were using to build their technology.
One of the top languages Coding Dojo sees growing strong amid the unicorns is Python.
Donovan An, director of West Coast Campus Operations at Coding Dojo, says this is because Python is a general purpose language that can be used for games and web development. But what has really make it gain popularity over the past five years is the explosion of data science and machine learning in Silicon Valley.
An also says he was surprised by the popularity of newer languages like Kotlin and Go. Kotlin is the fastest growing programming language according to GitHub, and it's most often used to develop Android apps. Go is a language that was developed by Google - an association that may have given it a leg up, An says.
Overall, An says companies aren't looking for developers who know one specific language.
"It's important for these engineers to have a wide tool set," An said. "What these companies are looking for in terms of is not a developer who knows Java or Golang or Kotlin. They are looking for developers who are self-sufficient and critical thinkers, not married to one language. They are looking for someone who can come in and problem solve."
Here are the technologies that top startups are using to build their systems, according to Coding Dojo data:
- Here’s why there is less adoption of the new tax regime and how budget 2022 can make it more attractive
- A market guru explains why real estate, housing and textiles should get some budget boost
- From tax structure rationalisation to expanding EV charging infrastructure, here’s what the industry wants from Budget 2022
- Best smartphones with 3.5mm headphone jack
- Best budget feature-packed TVs in India