This no-fee Bank of America credit card now offers 3% cash back in the category you choose
The Insider Picks team writes about stuff we think you'll like. Business Insider may receive a commission from The Points Guy Affiliate Network.
- If you have the Bank of America Cash Rewards credit card, you can earn 3% cash back in a category you choose each month.
- Categories include things like online shopping, gas, dining, and home improvement.
- You can also earn 2% back at grocery stores and wholesale clubs.
- If you don't already have the card, you can earn a$150 bonus when you spend $500 in the first three months.
Starting January 2019, the Bank of America Cash Rewards credit card allows users to pick one bonus category to earn 3% cash back each month. Previously, bonus categories were fixed. The 3% categories include:
- Online shopping
- Home improvement and furnishing
In addition, cardholders will earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and wholesale clubs, and 1% on everything else. However, the 3% and 2% bonuses will only apply to the first $2,500 in purchases in those combined categories each quarter. After that, the earning rate will default to 1% until the following quarter.Over all, this is a positive development for cardholders. Before the change, bonus categories were fixed, without any ability to choose.
While the $2,500 quarterly cap prevents you from taking advantage of the biggest purchases - for instance, choosing the home improvement category right before a big renovation project - the earning rate should be useful for most cardholders.In addition, cardholders who have a Bank of America checking account and significant assets held with Bank of America or Merrill Lynch can get a 25-75% bonus on each category when they enroll in the Bank of America Preferred Rewards program.Under that program, those with $20,000-$50,000 in their combined accounts will get 3.75% on the choice category and 2.5% on grocery stores and wholesale clubs; those with $50,000-$100,000 will earn 4.5% and 3% on those categories, respectively; and those with more than $100,000 will earn 5.25% and 3.5%, respectively.Advertisement
If you don't already have the card and choose to apply for one, you can earn a sign-up bonus of $150 after you spend $500 in the first three months.
Click here to learn more about the Bank of America Cash Rewards card from Insider Picks' partner: The Points Guy.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Arunachal CM launches entrepreneurship plan to boost economy
- Meghalaya has set up task force to revive economy: Sangma
- Google may replace Duo video calling app with Meet
- Inside pics of the new Mahindra Thar 2020 — The next-gen SUV
- Mahindra Thar 2020 is set to make a market debut today— here’s what to watch out for