Lesser known facts about the late Arun Jaitley
- Former Finance Minister and senior BJP leader Arun Jaitely passed away at AIIMS on Saturday after prolonged illness. Jaitley had undergone dialysis on Thursday.
- He was one of the few BJP members that supported PM Narendra Modi's back when he was under fire for 2004 Godhra riots.
"It is with profound grief that we inform about the sad demise of Former
Here are some lesser-known facts about Arun Jaitley
Arun Jaitley is among the most educated politicians in India.
He represented top multinationals like Pepsico and Coca Cola. He also served as the Additional Solicitor General of India.
He served prison time during the Emergency period in India (25 June 1975 – 21 March 1977).
His relations with the Bhartiya Janata Party can be traced back to the 1980s when he became the Youth Wing President, soon after it was formed.
He was also BJP's chief strategy planner for Lok Sabha Election 2014 -- the election that landed a massive victory for the brand Modi.
His intimate relationship with the PM earned him the nickname of Modi's ‘precious diamond’.
Lok Sabha Election 2014 was the first elections when Arun Jaitley stood as a candidate from the Amritsar seat. However, he lost against Congress Candidate Amarinder Singh.
He has been in good terms with Rajat Sharma, the chairman, and editor-in-chief of India TV, who happens to be his classmate from Delhi University. They have known each other for over four decades.
Jaitley has also served as the Vice President of the Board of Control for Cricket in India. However, he resigned in 2014 owing to a spot-fixing case at Indian Premier League
Popular on BI
- Simple Energy raises USD 20 mn from investors
- Rupee gains 10 paise to 82.66 against US dollar in early trade
- Poco X5 Pro 5G vs Redmi Note 12 Pro – price, specs and features compared
- Turkey-Syria quake toll reaches over 4,300
- Drinking water in Israel becomes turbid after Turkey-Syria quake