We asked 16 regular people on the streets of NYC about the best and worst financial advice they've ever received, and most were told the same thing
Myelle Lansat/Business Insider
- We asked people in New York City about the best and worst financial advice they've ever received.
- Some people said the best advice was to save and prepare for the future, while others said the worst advice was to accept a job just for the money.
- Parents don't always set a good financial example, and some people had to learn finances the hard way.
Whether you read it, hear it, or see it, good and bad financial advice surrounds us.After asking people in the streets of New York City the best and worst money advice they've ever received, we found that a majority of people were told similar things.Advertisement
For the most part, bad financial advice included taking a job just for the money or waiting to save until later in life. Many said the best money advice they received is the exact opposite: save, budget, and plan for the future.
For advice that can't be read online but is more often passed down from parents, the answers were also similar. Many people said their parents taught them to save and plan for what lies ahead. Some people did not receive great advice from their parents and taught themselves how to be financially successful - or are still learning.With escalating trade tensions, high cost of living in major cities, and spiked interest rates that could lead to a possible recession, being equipped with good financial advice is as crucial as ever.
We asked 16 people on the streets on NYC about financial advice they've received in life and what their parents taught them about money. Here's what they had to say:
Angel Tenesaca, 52
Alia Shalaby, 28Advertisement
Dakota Lillie, 26
Linda Paul, 54Advertisement
Mimi Lin, 30
Job Cooper, 35Advertisement
Ashley Delpizzo, 29
Uroosa Malik, 22Advertisement
Dunsten Cormack, over 50
Naomi Zingman-Daniels, 24Advertisement
Ivette Sanchez, 50
Ebonie Lewis, 21Advertisement
Garth Ayre, 19
Jelan Coley, 26Advertisement
Iain Stevens, 19
Ekenam Ofili, 26Advertisement
- Facebook partners with sixth VC firm in India – Matrix Partners to scale small businesses
- COVID-19 patients show signs of heart damage months later, says latest study
- The fourth largest phase 3 COVID-19 vaccine trial has started enrolling volunteers
- Disha Patani comes on board as Myntra’s first ‘beauty brand ambassador’
- CBSE to declare class 12 compartment exam results by October 12