'We got under his skin': Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez mocks Trump's income after he dismisses her criticism
ANDREW KELLY/Reuters, LEAH MILLIS/Reuters
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was quick to respond to President Donald Trump when he dismissed her criticism on Monday.
- After claiming that she had gotten "under his skin," the new congresswoman joked that the president wouldn't be taxed at her proposed 70% marginal rate for the super-rich because, she speculated, he's not actually super-rich.
- "I'd say we'd be taxing 70% of Trump's income, but he probably hasn't made more than $10 million in years - and that's the real reason he's hiding his taxes," Ocasio-Cortez tweeted, adding a winking emoji.
The 29-year-old lawmaker claimed that Trump's dismissive remark shows she's gotten "under his skin."
"I bartended for *years* in New York City. I understand guys like this like the back of my hand. We got under his skin," she tweeted, adding a laughing emoji.
Ocasio-Cortez joked that her proposed 70% marginal tax rate for those who make more than $10 million a year wouldn't apply to Trump because, she speculated, he hasn't met that income threshold in years. Trump has refused to make any of his tax returns public, so it is unclear how much he makes or has historically made, although it is estimated at far above $10 million.
"I'd say we'd be taxing 70% of Trump's income, but he probably hasn't made more than $10 million in years - and that's the real reason he's hiding his taxes," she went on, ending with a winking emoji.
Ocasio-Cortez, a New York Democrat who represents parts of the Bronx and Queens, rarely talks publicly about the president. She prefers to focus her criticism on her own party and structural issues she's identified in American politics, including the influence of money in politics.
But in a recent interview with "60 Minutes," she took aim at Trump, arguing that there's "no question" the president is a racist.
"When you look at the words that he uses, which are historic dog whistles of white supremacy. When you look at how he reacted to the Charlottesville incident where neo-Nazis murdered a woman, versus how he manufactures crises like immigrants seeking legal refuge on our borders, it's night and day," she said.
I bartended for *years* in New York City. I understand guys like this like the back of my hand.- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) January 14, 2019
We got under his skin ⬇️ https://t.co/SUXDVVY5tM
Trump responds to Ocasio-Cortez calling him a racist- Ryan Saavedra (@RealSaavedra) January 14, 2019
Reporter: "Mr. President, congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez called you a racist"
Trump: "Who did?"
Reporter: "Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez"
Trump: "Who cares" pic.twitter.com/Wh5x6ZXYwb
- Culinary odyssey: Exploring Kochi's 10 famous cuisines
- Scientists have finally figured out what happened to the lost continent ‘Argoland’ that went missing 155 million years ago
- Revamp your health in 2024: 10 Essential food habits for a better life
- Consistent inflows push small-cap funds AUM past Rs 2 lakh cr mark in Nov
- Ola Electric aims to raise nearly Rs 5,800 cr via IPO, to file DRHP