Why is Dropbox shutting down Mailbox and Carousel?
AdvertisementDropbox is downing shutters on email app
"The Carousel and Mailbox teams have built products that are loved by many people and their work will continue to have an impact," wrote Dropbox's founder/CEO Drew Houston and CTO Arash Ferdowsi in a blog post. "We’ll be taking key features from Carousel back to the place where your photos live — in the
Mailbox will shut down on February 26 th. Carousel will soon follow suit on March 31st. The company said its allowing Carousel extra time so that users can download their photos.
But why are the apps shutting down? For one they’ve seen very little development. That allowed rivals to move light years ahead. Mailbox was stagnant on iOS and Android months ago. Even their social media presence was going cold. Microsoft's Outlook and Google Inbox have built upon the unique swipe and time management features that Mailbox once introduced. The company acknowledges the same!
Similarly, Google Photos and Apple Photos have made Dropbox's Carousel redundant. Dropbox, however has promised it will bring some of Carousel's features to the main app.
While this draws a closure to these two, it’ll be interesting to see how the company builds in these features into the main app in the coming months.
Image credit: Indiatimes
Popular on BI
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- An Apple executive is leaving the company after being filmed joking about fondling 'big-breasted women' in a viral TikTok video
- Toyota's president said he 'did a little happy dance' after the company dethroned GM to become the bestselling carmaker in the US last year
- Best camera phone under ₹15000
- Best 5G mobile phones under ₹20000
- 22 lakh Indian IT professionals likely to leave jobs by 2025: Report
- OnePlus says successfully geared up for 5G launch with 5G-ready smartphone portfolio
- This website generates videos from a single image and text for free – here’s all you need to know
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World