11 diseases that can pass from animals to humans
- Illnesses that can pass from animals to humans are known as zoonotic.
- These types of illnesses can be common and are typically spread through contact with animals or animal waste.
- Rabies is a famous zoonotic disease, but other examples include giardia and ringworm.
- Make sure to wash your hands after handling animals and be careful when interacting with wild animals.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Illnesses that can pass from animals to humans are known as zoonotic. They're surpisingly common: More than six out of every 10 known infectious diseases in people are actually contracted from animals, according to the CDC.
Zoonotic diseases are typically spread through contact with animals or animal waste, though some can be caught by eating contaminated food products.
INSIDER consulted with medical experts to identify a few diseases that can pass from animals to people and how you can protect yourself.
You can catch "cat scratch fever" through cat bites or scratches.
Anthrax can be transmitted by animals like cattle, sheep, and deer.
You can contract the orf virus from goat yoga and petting zoos.
Giardia is a parasite you can get from your pets.
Toxoplasmosis is spread by cats and can linger in your system for years.
It's possible to catch a bacterial infection from pet fish.
Parrot fever can be contracted from pet birds.
Ringworm is a fungus that can spread from dogs and cats.
You can catch Salmonella from reptiles and amphibians.
Leptospirosis can be passed from farm animals to people.
Rabies is spread through animal saliva and is a medical emergency.
- This Asian currency performed much better than Rupee, and it's not Renminbi, Baht or Ringgit
- Plastic alternatives after the single-use ban
- Best air fryers in India 2022
- Devendra Fadnavis avenges trolls who made fun of his 'Will return' remark' by forgiving them
- IIT Guwahati designs a cooling system that will not require electricity