A 10-year-old girl had to have the hottest toy in the US surgically removed from her throat


Fidget Spinner


Fidget spinners have suddenly become the hottest toy in America - but kids and parents should be aware of the dangers that the objects can bring. 

A 10-year-old was forced to undergo emergency surgery after choking on her fidget spinner, according to a viral Facebook post from the girl's mother.

While her daughter has recovered, Kelly Rose Joniec is using the experience to educate others on the potential dangers of the toys, which were originally intended as a gadget to releive symptoms of ADHD and anxiety. 

On Monday, Joniec posted on Facebook that she had been driving her daughter Britton when she heard an "odd retching noise in the back seat." Britton had put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it, and had swallowed the metal object. 

Joniec rushed her daughter to urgent care. They were then transported via ambulance to the Texas Children's Hospital, to attempt to discern where the spinner was caught. 


"X-ray showed the spinner bushing lodged in her esophagus," Joniec wrote. "The [gastroenterology] doctor was fascinated... he'd only just learned of fidget spinners that morning when he was at the mall with his son, so it was a surprise to be faced with one in a case a few hours later."

Fortunately, the doctor was able to remove the object. 

"Fidget spinners are the current craze so they are widely distributed," Joniec wrote. "Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings. The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids... keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard."

Many schools have already banned fidget spinners, due to concerns regarding distraction and safety of students. 


"Although seemingly harmless, these items are being taken out during class, causing a distraction to students and staff," Brooklyn, New York school MS 442 wrote on Facebook post in late April. "They are also being thrown around during transition in the hallways to and from class, in the cafeteria, and at recess. They are small in size, but can seriously hurt someone."

NOW WATCH: Here's why Dairy Queen Blizzards are served upside down