A CEO with 43,000 international employees says sometimes you need to pass on perfectly qualified job candidates for the good of the company
It's hard not to take it personally when you make it to the end of the hiring process, only to get passed over.
But, according Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy, there's always a chance the final decision didn't have much to do with you at all.
"A lot of times, finding the right fit for the role is not only about the individual that you're interviewing," she told Business Insider. "What skill set or kind of individual you want to round out the team? What people don't often realize is that the decision about who to hire often comes down to what we need on the team that we don't have today?"
By the time Duffy interviews any senior-level candidates looking to join Carnival's team, they've already been vetted to ensure they have the right credentials, experience, and skills. So she often looks out for softer skills during her conversations with applicants.
She also focuses on whether or not a candidate can compliment the team they're looking to join.
"No one really is a stand-alone individual in our environment today," Duffy said.
For example, if there's an open spot on an extremely analytically-minded team, Duffy may spring for a creative thinker to fill the gap.
"Which is why it's hard for people sometimes when you don't choose them," she said. "They've checked all the boxes in their mind. And that may be true because so many people have such great qualifications. But it's understanding the broader team and what we're trying to accomplish."
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- Best water purifiers to buy in India 2023
- Desk-bombing, monk mode & other emerging trends at the workplace
- Crypto exchange Binance temporarily suspends all spot trading
- Samsung unveils Galaxy F14 5G with 6000 mAh battery in India
- Haircut on cases resolved through IBC not very encouraging, says Kotak report