A secret internal memo reportedly outlined Amazon's plans for a new grocery-store chain that could thrive in areas where Whole Foods struggles
Michael Brochstein/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images
- Amazon hasn't gobbled up its fill of the grocery business just yet.
- The New York Times reported that a memo signalling the retailer's plans to open up a new grocery chain has been circulating since 2017.
- The chain would reportedly offer consumers a different experience from Whole Foods, which Amazon bought in 2017.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
When it comes to the grocery business, Amazon has not yet begun to fight.
At least, that's the gist of a report from The New York Times' Karen Weise on Monday. The piece draws from a previously secret 2017 Amazon memo, written in the style of a phony press release. The Amazon memo outlines the idea for a brand-new chain of grocery stores.
Amazon didn't immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.
According to The New York Times, the new chain would feature several key sections within its stores, including delivery capabilities, an omnichannel grocery pick-up station, an accessible section containing food items, and a separate room of nonperishables that could only be purchased with an app.
According to the Wall Street Journal, Amazon is reportedly intent on unveiling the first of these new stores by the end of 2019 in Los Angeles. Early stores would launch in Seattle; San Francisco; Chicago; Washington, DC; and Philadelphia.
So why is Amazon looking to open up its own line of grocery stores after buying up Whole Foods? According to According to Business Insider Intelligence's report on Amazon's grocery goals, this isn't about kicking the organic grocer to the curb.
Business Insider Intelligence's Daniel Keyes writes that the online retail giant will be able to "build new stores with ecommerce in mind." Under Amazon's possible new lineup, Whole Foods would simply become the "prestigious" and "high end complement" to the company's as-of-yet-unnamed grocery chain.
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons