- To help users have a safer experience on the platform, Instagram has shared some helpful tips.
But as the intimacy with our phones increase, there have also been phishing attacks that have concerned many. Phishing is the fraudulent practice of sending emails purporting to be from reputable companies in order to induce individuals to reveal personal information, such as passwords and credit card numbers. On Instagram, people have been defrauded into clicking links in messages that they receive in their DMs, pretending to be official communication from Instagram. As a result, they lose control over their Instagram account, which can be a distressing experience.
The most important information for people to note, is that Instagram never communicates with users through direct messages and all communication made by Instagram via email can be confirmed in the app, in Settings> Security> Emails from Instagram.
To help users have a safer Instagram experience, the platform has shared some tips that can help you protect your account from any suspicious activity:
- Enable the two-factor authentication for extra
securityfor your account. It offers additional security to ensure that even if someone knows your password, only you can access your account. Two-factor authentication can be done by codes sent by SMS or by a third-party authentication application (such as Duo Mobile or Google Authenticator).
- Choose a strong password: a combination of at least six letters, numbers and punctuation marks.
- Revoke access to third party applications. They can expose your login information.
- Do not share your password with people you do not trust.
- Instagram never communicates with users through Direct and all communication made by Instagram via email can be confirmed in the app, in Settings> Security> Instagram emails.
- If you think your account has been hacked or taken over, there are several actions you can take to secure your account - https://help.instagram.com/149494825257596