Amazon and Flipkart took 90% market share during the Great Indian Festival and Big Billion Days sale
- Amazon and Flipkart accounted for 90% of the e-tailer market share during the Great Indian Festival and the
Big Billion Days sale.
- Amazon India claims it saw the highest sales across all online shopping platforms, according to a Neilsen report.
- Flipkart market share during the sale season was higher than Amazon at 60-62% as per a Redseer report.
Flipkart and Amazon achieved sold a record ₹19,000 crore of goods in 2019 -- a growth of 30% over the previous year, according to a Redseer report.
Where Flipkart leads in volume, Amazon claims to have the highest sale transactions across all online shopping platforms, according to a Neilsen report.
Great Indian Festival
"The first wave of the Great Indian Festival was our biggest celebration ever with Amazon.in — witnessing highest share of transacting customers and purchases across all marketplaces in India," said Amit Agarwal, senior vice president and country head of Amazon India.
The company states that customers from 99.4% of India’s postal codes placed an order during the sale. On the busiest day of the sale more than 600 flights were in transit delivering Amazon products.
Despite the economic slowdown, Amazon claims that there was growth in customers availing credit options on the site. There were 1.5 times as many customers opting for EMIs during this year’s sale as compared to last year. Every one in two customers was availing a credit option was doing so for the first time, doubling the amount of new-to-credit customers.
The fashion category brought in the most amount of new customers for Amazon. More than 1 million fashion items were sold within the first 24 hours of the sale going live.
Overall, nearly 15,000 sellers on Amazon India saw their sales double and thousands of them recorded their highest sales ever during the first day of the Great Indian Festival.
Big Billion Days
Smartphone sales were the secret to Flipkart dominating the market share, according to the Redseer report.
The company claims that this has been the biggest festive season for the mobiles category on their platform. More 20 different smartphone sold more than 100,000 units each during the Big Billion Days sale.
Where mobile phone sales contributed to volume, the fashion category brought in new customers. It saw a 70% growth in sales over last year and brought in 40% of the new users that logged onto Flipkart.
Overall, Flipkart clocked in 70 billion views across all categories.
Note: This article has been updated to include the results from the Redseer report.
- GST exemption on domestic supplies, commercial imports of COVID drugs to make them costlier, says Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman
- Uttar Pradesh government extends statewide lockdown till May 17
- Marriage functions to be held at home or court with maximum gathering of 20 people, says Delhi DDMA
- PM Modi speaks to Chief Minsters of Punjab, Karnataka, Bihar and Uttarakhand regarding COVID-19 situation in their respective states
- If you are feeling anxious and overwhelmed by the pandemic and the news around it, here are a few ways to calm yourself down