Alibaba founder Jack Ma spotted at a school in China after long absence
The 58-year-old has kept a low profile since criticising China's financial regulators in 2020.
Ma was the most high-profile Chinese billionaire to have disappeared amid a crackdown on tech entrepreneurs, the BBC reported.
He recently returned to China after more than a year overseas, according to the
The Alibaba-owned newspaper said he had made a short stopover in Hong Kong, where he met friends and also briefly visited Art Basel, an international art fair.
It added that Ma has been travelling to different countries to learn about agricultural technology, but made no reference as to why he had disappeared from public view in recent years.
Ma, a former English teacher, met staff and toured classrooms at the
He talked about the potential challenges of artificial intelligence to education, according to the school's social media page, BBC reported.
"ChatGPT and similar technologies are just the beginning of the AI era. We should use artificial intelligence to solve problems instead of being controlled by it," he said.
Once the richest man in China, Ma gave up control of financial technology giant Ant Group in January this year.
AdvertisementIt was seen by some commentators as further evidence that he had fallen foul of the Chinese Communist Party for becoming outspoken and too powerful, BBC reported.
Indian housing market stays strong despite global headwinds: Anarock Research
Food prices skyrocket in Pakistan during Ramzan, reeling economic crisis to blame
Popular on BI
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Some people are apparently ditching their iPhones for a foldable Razr model. Yes, the kind that was popular 20 years ago.
- Henkel doubles down on India as hair care market at an inflection point – to evaluate laundry segment later
- IKIO Lighting IPO opens today: 10 things to know before you subscribe
- Best flagship phones in India in 2023
- Small Size Bluetooth speakers in India
- IIT Madras tops Indian institute ranking fifth year in a row – here are the top 10