Global VC fund Antler, with tech investments in 160 cos, sets up India specific fund – to invest in 40 Indian startups in its first year
- Antler, which invests in early stage startups, has set up shop in India with Rajiv Srivatsa, co-founder of Urban Ladder as a partner.
- While it has begun operations in Bengaluru, over the next four years, it plans to expand to several more cities and invest in a total of 150 startups.
- The fund is betting on India’s vision to grow into a 5 trillion dollar economy.
Antler has investments in over 160 companies globally, and now plans to invest in 40
The company’s decision to enter India comes at a time when investments are low and businesses are hit due to the coronavirus pandemic, the fund hopes to scale up operations soon. While it has begun operations in Bengaluru, over the next four years, it plans to expand to several more cities and invest in a total of 150 startups.
Advertisement“We believe the Indian entrepreneurial ecosystem has massive potential. The quantity of exceptional talent, the ambition level of founders and the proliferation of high-quality venture capital and angel investors provides an incredible opportunity to build successful early-stage companies from scratch,” said Magnus Grimeland, Founder and CEO of Antler.
Grimeland added that he is betting on India’s vision to grow into a 5 trillion dollar economy which will fuel “a much higher growth for the digital economy”.
“We will launch an India fund and collaborate with the entire ecosystem including VCs, angels and work closely with corporate partners and functional specialists as mentors, to power the India opportunity ahead this decade,” said Srivatsa who will be leading the India vertical.
This Indian angel investment platform has invested in eight cos in 60 days and plans to fund startups every week
India drops six places in the ranking for world’s best startup ecosystems— power outages and slow internet speeds get some of the blame
Hiring now! Check out these job openings at Indian startups during the COVID-19 pandemic
Popular on BI
- Sansera Engineering IPO — How to check allotment status, listing date and more
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- Amazon is investigating its lawyers for allegedly bribing Indian government officials
- Noise ropes in Taapsee Pannu as its brand ambassador for smart wearables
- Online fantasy gaming startup earns almost five times Dhoni's Chennai Super Kings
- Samsung's first F-series phone with 5G support, Galaxy F42, to launch soon
- 2021 Yamaha R15 V4.0, R15M, Aerox 155 launched in India — all you need to know
- Tara Sutaria to be the face of Olay India's premium skincare range