Reliance Jio’s profit grows 15% but new subscribers are the lowest in 7 quarters
Business Insider India
Reliance Jiohas reported a profit growth of 15.5%, with net profit of ₹3,489.
- During the December quarter, Jio added over 5 million new subscribers, which is the lowest in the last seven quarters.
- Apart from this, Jio also registered a healthy jump in average revenue per user (ARPU), which jumped by over 4%.
The growth in Jio’s profits comes even as the company announced affordable postpaid plans to capture subscribers from its rivals Vodafone Idea and Airtel. However, Jio added the lowest number of subscribers in the last seven quarters. With JioPhone contracts maturing soon, Jio might have a new problem on its hands.
Advertisement“Given that Vodafone Idea has lagged data subscriber additions vs peers and that network integrations have had limited impact on arresting its market share losses, we believe market share gains for Bharti Airtel and Reliance Jio will continue,” said Jefferies in its report ahead of the earnings.
Jio’s average revenue per user (ARPU) grew by over 4%, beating Goldman Sachs’ estimate of a 2% increase.
Betting on 5G
“India is today among the leaders driving the Digital Revolution in the world. In order to maintain this lead, Jio will continue to accelerate the rollout of its digital platforms and indigenously developed next generation 5G stack and make it affordable and available everywhere,” said Mukesh Ambani, chairman and managing director of Reliance Industries.
The company has begun testing its 5G network and hardware, reporting that it has achieved 1Gbps throughput.
Apart from 5G, Jio is also banking on its business and internet of things (IoT) offerings. Its JioMeet video conferencing solution crossed 15 million users during the quarter.
Popular on BI
- A student who accidentally became a millionaire with a cult following after selling his expressionless selfies as NFTs says he feels confused
- Internship at Bureau of Police Research & Development: Checkout all the details including last date, eligibility and stipend
- One of the largest cryptocurrency swapping platforms just lost $1.3 million as users failed to update approvals
- Consumers expect healthcare sector to see an increased allocation in the 2022 budget as the pandemic rages on: Kantar report
- Bharat Electronics Limited is looking to fill up 247 posts with a maximum monthly salary of ₹55,000
- iPhone SE 3, new iPad and Macs — Here’s what to expect from Apple’s spring event this year
- There are huge discounts on Nykaa, Zomato and shares of other listed tech startups
- ICICI Bank shares are sulking with the rest of the market, but analysts say it could make a lot of money for investors