5 ways to make sending cold emails more effective, including email templates to use
- Cold emails can be a great way to make connections, whether you're job-hunting or pitching new clients.
- The most effective messages convey a sense of urgency and are concise, between four to eight sentences.
- Include your LinkedIn so your prospect can easily view your profile without having to look it up themselves.
Your next great career move or investment likely won't magically appear in your inbox. The narrative that the "cold email/call is dead" is not only wrong; cold outreach can actually be the best way to reach any decision-maker. Whether you want to
Remember, the cold email will be your first impression. Do your research, and don't ask to grab coffee. Decision-makers are most likely to engage if your email is specific and addresses a problem.
The hardest part of this approach is the start. Below, I have outlined five tactical points and provided two templates for you to craft the perfect cold email.
1. Use an action-focused subject line
If your email isn't opened, it doesn't matter what it says. I recommend sending emails first thing in the morning or in the evening and using short, specific phrases with a sense of urgency. A great subject line for example would be: "Call: 123 John Street property" or "Follow up: potential investor."
2. Condense your message to fit on a phone screen
The entire message needs to be readable on a phone screen (without scrolling). The message should be between four to eight sentences. Make sure the spacing is correct and doesn't look like a thesis paper.
3. Acknowledge a problem and propose a solution
Ideas and PowerPoints don't close deals - problem solvers get to make the elevator pitch. Use your email sentences to convince your prospect that you understand their issue and can solve their problem.
Very important: Use links instead of attachments because attachments can get left out of the email if it is later forwarded to the correct person.
4. Include all contact information in email signature
The purpose of the cold outreach is to set up a warm telephone call. Include your email and cell phone number in your email signature. Include a LinkedIn link as well so your prospect can easily view your professional background without having to do any extra work.
5. Provide notice for a follow-up
It takes between two to five outreach attempts to secure a meeting. Mention that you understand your prospect is busy and will drop them a line next week to follow up. If your cold email is successful and a call/meeting is set up, always send more information in advance. After five attempts without a response, it's safe to say you should focus on other prospects.
Email template for a sales pitch
My name is Joseph Maddalone, and I'm a real estate developer interested in purchasing your 123 John Street property.
I am sure you have been getting a lot of interest in this competitive market, but we believe our track record can relieve you of any due diligence concerns and stress.
We currently own and operate multiple properties within walking distance of yours, and would be happy to take you on a tour. If you are on the fence about selling, we would be happy to have you as a partner in the development.
I'll give you a call next Tuesday morning.
Email template for a job inquiry
My name is Joseph Maddalone and I really enjoyed reading the article about your company today on Business Insider. I am currently VP of Sales at Atlas Harbor Advisors.
If you looking to add to your sales team in the future, I would love to speak with you for a few minutes. I believe the feedback I receive from my clients could really help in converting your leads to closed deals.
May we set up some time to speak on Wednesday or Friday morning? I would be happy to send along some of my thoughts in advance.
Joseph Maddalone is the principal of Atlas Harbor Advisors, where he works with entrepreneurs to create go-to-market strategies and partnerships.
- A 53-year-old longevity researcher says his 'biological age' is a decade younger thanks to 4 daily habits — but the science behind them is mixed
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 leaks ahead of launch – specs, expected launch date and more
- New CEO of TCS Krithivasan gets a thumbs up from analysts who are betting on his experience & leadership skills
- Fugitive diamantaire Mehul Choksi removed from Interpol database of Red Notices
- US condemns attack on Indian Consulate in San Francisco; pledges to defend safety, security
- Paul Grant who played Ewok on Star Wars passes away at 56
- Sensex, Nifty50 edge up in morning trade led by gains in financial services, PSU bank stocks
- Always open for negotiation: Putin tells Xi Jinping on Ukraine peace plan