At least 10 top Indian companies are looking for CEOs — do you have what it takes?
- The market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) mandated that the chairperson,
chief executive officer(CEO) of the company can not be the same.
- Wipro’s Abidali Neemuchwala and Karur Vysya Bank’s PR Seshadri quit citing ‘personal’ reasons.
- Of the top 500 companies, more than 160 have shared chairperson and CEO posts — and another 50 companies have the chairperson related to the CEO.
- Checkout the 10 top Indian companies are looking for CEOs.
In a bid to scale up the the corporate governance practices, the market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) mandated that the chairperson, chief executive officer (CEO) and the managing director (MD) of the company can not be the same.
The new mandate, that is applicable to the fortune 500 companies will kick off on April 1, 2020. Of the top 500 companies, more than 160 have shared chairperson and CEO posts — and another 50 companies have the chairperson related to the CEO— according to the Economic Times report.
This has opened up vacancies across companies like
The key qualities of a CEO
These top executives must have experience, observation skills, as well as a strong network to the table. “The top executive needs to have the ability to align themselves with the company’s vision. The new SEBI regulations which states that companies cannot have the same person as a CEO as well as Chairperson will create a lot of demand initially, this might lead to some relaxation of assessment standards for some time,” Ajay Shah, VP and head of recruitment at TeamLease Services told Business Insider.
“These thought leaders provide much more than just a reference. They also provide counsel; they serve as sounding boards; they act as voices of depth and reason; they help frame a CEO search in the context of the organisation,” Deepak Parekh, chairman at HDFC told the Economic Times.
It doesn’t take days or hours of interviews. For me, 10 minutes is enough to assess if the candidate is right for the job,” Parekh added.
Here are the top Indian companies are looking for CEOs:
Market Cap: ₹924,038 crore
Chairman & CEO: Mukesh Ambani
Market Cap: ₹464,839 crore
Chairman & CEO: Sanjiv Mehta
Market Cap: ₹262,428 crore
Chairman & CEO: Sanjiv Puri
Market Cap: ₹135,112 crore
Chairman & CEO: Shashi Shanker
AdvertisementMarket Cap: ₹110,621 crore
Chairman & CEO:
Market Cap: ₹75,174 crore
Chairman & CEO:
Karur Vysya Bank
Market Cap: ₹4,092 crore
Former Chairman & CEO: PR Seshadri
Market Cap: ₹121,036 crore
Chairman & CEO:
Market Cap: ₹107,161 crore
Chairman & CEO: Duraiswamy Rajkumar
Power Grid Corporation of India
Market Cap: ₹100,629 crore
Chairman & CEO: Kandikuppa Sreekant
Popular on BI
- TCS retains No 1 spot as India’s top brand but tech sector takes a hit
- Brewing capital: Third Wave Coffee raises Series C funding with participation from existing investors
- Asian Paints' non-executive director Ashwin Dani passes away
- Mapping Zealandia: Scientists chart the tectonic secrets of Earth’s sunken 8th continent
- World Heart Day: Nourish your heart with heart-healthy foods and practical tips