China's Warren Buffett is doing a deal with Thomas Cook
View all Offers
- 30% OFF
Nilkamal Leo Computer Trolley/Table (Black/Walnut)₹ 3250₹ 3500Buy On
Wipro Alivio Mid Back Mesh Ergonomic Home-Office Chair with Synchro tilt Mechanism,Adjustable armrest,Cushion Lumbar,Durable Nylon Frame,5yr wrnty,BIFMA & Green Certified,Premium Fabric (Black)₹ 10589₹ 17800Buy On
- 13% OFF
Duroflex Back Magic - Doctor Recommended Orthopaedic High Density Coir, 5 Inch King Size Firm Mattress for Back Support and Posture Alignment (78 X 72 X 5 Inches)₹ 20469₹ 24970Buy On
SleepX Dual Comfort Mattress 6 inch King Bed Size, High Density (HD) Foam- Medium Soft & Hard (Orange, 78x72x6)₹ 9509₹ 18415Buy On
- 35% OFF
Duroflex LiveIn - Pressure Relieving, Memory Foam, Roll Pack, 6 Inch King Size Medium Firm Mattress with Superior Comfort and Anti Microbial Fabric (72 X 72 X 6 Inches)₹ 11759₹ 19999Buy On
Fosun, which is backed by billionaire Guo Guangchang who is dubbed the Chinese Warren Buffett by the Financial Times with a net worth of $4.3 billion (£2.8 billion), will own 51% of the new venture while Thomas Cook will own the remaining 49%, to help develop domestic, inbound and outbound tourism activities for the Chinese market under Thomas Cook brands.
"We are delighted to work with Thomas Cook, the world's best known name in travel, to develop a leading travel business serving the growing number of Chinese travellers," said Qian Jiannong, President of Fosun's Tourism & Commercial Group, in a statement. "Today, there is a lack of innovation and differentiation in the travel product offerings for Chinese tourists in China and abroad, presenting an excellent opportunity for our new joint venture to gain a competitive advantage."
The idea between the joint venture is to utilise Thomas Cook's expertise in the international travel while Fosun will help with local market knowledge and operational resources, so Thomas Cook will gain direct exposure to China's growing demand for leisure travel.
Peter Fankhauser, CEO of Thomas Cook, added:"Today marks a significant milestone in our strategic partnership with Fosun. We are excited at the prospects of entering the largest and fastest-growing tourism market in the world with such an experienced partner."
Thomas Cook reported £8.5 billion ($13.2 billion) in sales in the year ending September 30, 2014. It has approximately 24,000 employees and operates from 15 source markets.
In China, Fosun pursues an approach similar to Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway, combining an insurance business with ownership stakes in businesses including pharmaceuticals, construction, mining and steel production.
According to Bloomberg data, Guo Guangchang's Fosun has spent almost $25 billion (£16 billion) on overseas acquisitions since 2010, so the joint venture is the latest in a long line of deals.
- India reports more than 3 lakh COVID-19 cases for the second consecutive day, 703 deaths in last 24 hours
- Reliance Industries earnings today; HUL, ICICI Bank and Vodafone Idea also in focus on January 21
- Internship at Bureau of Police Research & Development: Checkout all the details including last date, eligibility and stipend
- Last day to subscribe to AGS Transact IPO, GMP drops to ₹10
- Ethereum may not have too long to get its high gas fee issue in check, according to JPMorgan