7 stirring images of the birthday cruise the US Navy just threw for its 222-year-old warship
Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Apprentice Alec Krame / US Navy / DVIDS
- The USS Constitution celebrated its 222nd birthday on October 18, 2019, with a cruise around the Boston Harbor. The ship forst set sail on October 21, 1797, after two failed attempts.
- The Constitution earned its nickname, "Old Ironsides," during the War of 1812, when enemy fire couldnt't penetrate its hull.
- The Constitution still has a full crew and is the US's Ship of State, hosting visiting dignitaries and acting as a site to sign important legislation regarding the military.
- Visit Business Insider's home page for more stories.
A 222nd birthday is quite a milestone, and the USS Constitution celebrated in style on Friday. A cruise through Boston Harbor showed off Old Ironsides, the oldest commissioned ship in the Navy, according to the National Parks Service.
Although the ship isn't engaged in warfighting anymore, it hosts visitors as an historic site, along with the USS Constitution Museum in Charlestown, Massachusetts.
Read on to learn more about the USS Constitution's history.
The Constitution started construction in 1794, and first set sail October 21, 1797.
It wasn't until the War of 1812 that she earned her nickname.
The Constitution still has a full crew, which maintains the ship.
The Constitution attempted to launch into Boston Harbor twice — and failed — before it succeeded on October 21, 1797.
After her lengthy service and legendary survivability in the War of 1812, rumors began to circulate in the 1830s that Old Ironsides would be retired.
In 1925, US school children raised $154,000 to restore the Constitution.
She was designated the US's Ship of State in 2010 by former President Barack Obama.
- Oct 1 deadline for compulsory e-invoice generation nears for firms with ₹10 crore turnover
- Prospective homebuyers expect property prices to increase
- ICICIdirect launches online platform Flash Trade for F&O traders
- Apple announces offers on iPhone 14 series, AirPods Pro
- Great resignation impact being felt in India as attrition rate remains elevated at 20% in 2022
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Rice and Pulses
- IIT Guwahati
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- Biggest Billionaires
- Sundar Pichai
- Home Loan
- Vinod Shantilal Adani
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Accenture earnings forecast
- India's Richest People
- Best 5G Smartphone
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World