Chrissy Teigen said she's 'sick with herself' and 'depressed' now that she's in the 'cancel club'
- Chrissy Teigen posted an Instagram update about feeling "lost" now that she's in the "cancel club."
- She received support from her Instagram followers, but many on Twitter criticized her statements.
- Teigen has been facing backlash for her past cyberbullying and self-described "troll" behavior.
"Feels so weird to pretend nothing happened in this online world but feel like utter s--- in real life," Teigen wrote on Instagram.
She continued: "Going outside sucks and doesn't feel right, being at home alone with my mind makes my depressed head race. But I do know that however I'm handling this now isn't the right answer. I feel lost and need to find my place again, I need to snap out of this, I desperately wanna communicate with you guys instead of pretending everything is okay."
Here's the rest of her lengthy caption:
"I'm not used to any other way!! Cancel club is a fascinating thing and I have learned a whollllle lot. Only a few understand it and it's impossible to know til you're in it. And it's hard to talk about it in that sense because obviously you sound whiney when you've clearly done something wrong. It just sucks. There is no winning. But there never is here anyhow. All I know is I love you guys, I miss you guys, and I just needed an honest moment with you because I'm just ... tired of being sick with myself all day. I don't even know if it's good to say any of this because it's gonna get brutally picked apart but I dunno. I can't do this silent s--- anymore! If you or someone you know has also been cancelled please let me know if there is a cancel club reunion because I could use some time off my couch! Thank u and goodbye I love u."
Teigen received outpouring support from her followers on Instagram.
"I remember meeting you and thinking after I left, how you are the most incredible open, warm and honest person," the most-liked comment, written by Josh Smith, says. "You continue to be that same great person and have given so much and helped so many with your honesty feel less alone. You deserve so much love back now, so sending you the biggest hug."
Even Paris Hilton replied to Teigen's Instagram post, writing "Sending lots of love beauty" alongside heart emojis.
Teigen quit Twitter in March, but then returned to the app several weeks later. She didn't post this latest update on Twitter, but that didn't stop her message from receiving criticism on that platform.
"Chrissy Teigen's latest ig post shows how toxic it is to thrive off validation from peopls [sic] on social media," one person wrote.
- (@JulieOfcharsky) July 15, 2021
Another person pointed out the nature of social media's impact on mental health.
"This whole story really speaks to how we don't yet have the proper language or cultural understanding to speak about social media as the addictive, mind-altering product that it actually is," they wrote.
-Chelsea Fagan (@Chelsea_Fagan) July 15, 2021
In the day following Teigen's Instagram post, dozens of tweets criticizing her statement racked up tens of thousands of likes on Twitter.
-Karen Smith (@karen1smith1) July 15, 2021
-Olayemi Olurin (@msolurin) July 14, 2021
-Erin Moon Honey Davies (@erinheartscoco) July 15, 2021
In June, Teigen had penned an open letter on Medium to address her past cyberbullying.
"I've been sitting in a hole of deserved global punishment, the ultimate 'sit here and think about what you've done,'" she wrote.
For more on Teigen's ongoing public relationship with social media, read Insider's timeline of how Teigen, a self-proclaimed 'troll,' has bullied and fought with celebrities on Twitter.
- Female African elephants evolved toward being tuskless over just a few decades as poachers sought ivory
- Manchester United owners are getting drawn to the world's biggest cricket league – here's why
- Federal Bank is offering internships for fresh graduates — Check out stipend, incentives and other details
- Best smartphones with 90Hz display under ₹20,000 in India
- Best 2.1 channel soundbars in India
- Best high speed monochrome printers in India
- Best multi-pin charging cables in India
- India vs Pakistan at T20 World Cup — Where to watch the match