New data shows how much of Paramount Plus' TV and movie catalog is exclusive
- Exclusive and original content is essential for a
streamingservice to succeed in a crowded space.
- Reelgood shared data on the amount of exclusives and originals of the latest entrant:
- 41% of Paramount Plus's TV-show catalog is exclusive to the service as is 23% of its movie catalog.
When it launched earlier this month, the company touted that it included a "mountain of
But how much of that can consumers find nowhere else?
Exclusive and original content is essential to standing out in a crowded field that includes giants like Netflix and Disney Plus, and newcomers like WarnerMedia's HBO Max and NBCUniversal's Peacock.
The streaming search engine Reelgood provided Insider data on the amount of originals (content developed for Paramount Plus) and exclusives (acquired or original content that is only streaming on Paramount Plus).
Here's the breakdown:
- 41% of Paramount Plus's TV-show catalog is exclusive to the service.
- 23% of its movie catalog is exclusive.
- 17% of its TV catalog is made up of originals (Reelgood couldn't provide data on original movies).
Those numbers could rise as Paramount Plus is expected to release 36 original series in its first year.
Paramount Plus is looking to capture consumer interest with a mix of live news and sports along with its library of shows and movies. New Paramount Pictures movies, such as "A Quiet Place Part II" and "Mission: Impossible 7," will debut on the service 30 to 45 days after they debut in theaters. It includes an ad-supported plan for $6 per month and an ad-free plan for $10 per month.
A previous Reelgood analysis compared the exclusives on other streaming services, but took into account the share based on their entire movie and TV libraries as of January 15. So, it's not an exact comparison to Paramount Plus but it does highlight which streaming players have an edge in exclusive content.
Here's how much of each service's entire library was made up of exclusive content:
- Disney Plus: 89% (total catalog: 311 TV shows/742 movies)
- Netflix: 83% (total catalog: 2,069 TV shows/3,766 movies)
- HBO Max: 72% (total catalog: 606 TV shows/1,932 movies)
- Hulu: 40% (total catalog: 1,700 TV shows/916 movies)
- Amazon Prime Video: 38% (total catalog: 2,161 TV shows/14,670 movies)
While Prime Video had the lowest share of exclusives, it had the most content. Disney Plus had the highest share of exclusives, but it had the smallest library of the services measured.
- Magic Monday spills over to Tuesday- Here’s what you should buy
- Biden nominates Indian-American VC for key post
- Best markets in Amritsar every shopper must visit
- Cyclone Michaung: 8 people dead, subways, roads closed in Tamil Nadu, CM Stalin inspects relief camps in Chennai
- The Sharing Economy