HDFC, Bandhan, AU Small Finance and other bank stocks surge as more people rushed to borrow money
- Banking stocks were the top gainers in the market as lenders reported improving performance in the December quarter.
- AU Small Finance Bank and Kotak Mahindra Bank were the top two stocks with 7% and 4% returns today.
- Experts say that the performance of Indian lenders is improving as more people take out loans in the volatile market.
AdvertisementBanking stocks were at top of their game today, December 5, leading the market sentiment. Several banks have come out with their initial growth numbers for October-December quarter, and it is nothing but positive.
Offering cheap loans during festivals in the last three months increased banks’ loan book for the December quarter. One of the country’s largest banks, HDFC Bank has reported a double digit loan growth of 16%. Not only HDFC Bank, but several other small banks have also witnessed a rise in their loan books.
Banks seem to be getting back on track after being severely affected from the first and second wave of covid.
|Bank||Growth in loan book Oct-Dec||Loan book|
|HDFC Bank||16.4% on year||₹12.60 lakh crore|
|Bank of Maharashtra||23.02% on year||₹1.29 lakh crore|
|Federal Bank||12% on year||₹1.43 lakh crore|
|AU Small Finance Bank||27% on year||₹42,027 crore|
|Bandhan Bank||11% on year||₹80,255 crore|
Analysts believe that the asset quality in the banking system is improving and now the focus will be on loan growth. “With asset quality woes receding, the focus will be shifting towards improving credit growth trends,” said a report by Haitong Securities.
Following the strong growth trend in loans and retail deposits, Morgan Stanley has maintained an ‘overweight’ rating on HDFC Bank stock with a target price of ₹2,050 per share.
ICICI Bank is another stock on top of the list of broking firms as analysts believe shares of the bank provide good entry price to invest after sharp fall in stocks recently.
|Banks||% returns in the last 5 days|
|AU Small Finance Bank||16%|
|Kotak Mahindra Bank||8%|
|Punjab National Bank||5%|
SEE ALSO: Despite Omicron scare, hiring activity across various sectors looks promising in India
Reliance Jio and Zupee announce strategic partnership, Jio users to get access to games
Wipro is hiring BCA and B.Sc grads for its Work Integrated Learning Program with a maximum stipend of ₹23,000 per month
Popular on BI
- Goa hotels had the most occupancies and they earned more too, says report
- Best tech gifts for your sisters this Rakhi
- Machine learning and statistics are the most important skills required for data science jobs in India, says report
- Tractor industry sales down to 59,586 units in July 2022
- Honda Power starts electric battery swap services at HPCL petrol pumps