One of India's top banks allows same-sex couples to have joint accounts and removes gender-specific dress code
Axis Bankhas become one of the first banks to announce new policies and practices for its customers and employees from the LGBTQcommunity.
- People who identify themselves as part of the LGBTQIA community still face problems in financial services as same sex marriage in India is not yet legalised.
- The new policies will be effective from September 20, 2021.
AdvertisementAs India celebrates the third anniversary of the Supreme Court ruling, which decriminalised homosexuality, Axis Bank has become one of the first banks to announce new policies and practices for its customers and employees from the LGBTQ community, under a new campaign named ‘DilSeOpen’.
People who identify themselves as lesbian, gay, homosexual, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and asexual (LGBTQIA) still face problems in financial services as same sex marriage in India is not yet legalised.
To mark this day, Axis Bank rolled out ‘ComeAsYouAre’ policies. These are the initiatives taken for the employees —
- Mediclaim benefits
Employees can list their partner’s name for mediclaim benefits irrespective of their gender, caste, sex or marital status.
- Dress according to their wishes
Employees can freely dress according to their gender expression, which means it is not mandatory for the employees to dress according to their birth gender.
- Restroom of own choice
Employees are free to use the restroom according to their own gender expression.
- Redressal Process
New Human Resources policy that offers redressal to the problems faced by the employees from this community.
- Joint accounts
According to the law by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), there is no restriction on who can open bank accounts. However, still homosexual couples are often refused by the banks while opening a joint account. Axis Bank’s new policy welcomes same sex partners to open joint accounts.
- Choose ‘Mx’ as gender
Customers from the community will have the option to choose their title as ‘Mx’ while filling out forms.
- Same sex partner as Nominee
Customers can make their same sex partners as their nominee.
Sobha, Mahindra Lifespace become multibaggers in 2021 as analysts see strong upside in realty space
JioPhone Next is the new weapon in Ambani’s arsenal as he takes aim at the 500 million subscriber mark
Popular on BI
- Electric-vehicle financing startup Vidyut raises $4 million in first round of funding
- RIL, Adani Enterprises are the biggest and most consistent wealth creators: Motilal Oswal
- First King Charles 50 pence coins enter circulation in UK
- Realme 10 Pro Plus vs Redmi Note 12 Pro Plus – price, specs and features compared
- Abans Holdings to open IPO next week from Dec 12-15; GMP at ₹20 per share
- Jio Haptik
- Gig jobs
- Sula Vineyards IPO
- Whatsapp tips
- International Roaming Plans
- RBI hikes repo rate
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Most searched movies
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World