Meet Ryan Tolkin, the 34-year-old behind Schonfeld's transformation from family office to hedge fund heavyweight
Ryan Tolkintransformed Schonfeld from a family office to an $8.8 billion hedge-fund heavyweight.
- The 34-year-old Duke grad has been driven to lead his entire life, friends and colleagues said.
In high school, Ryan Tolkin was trading securities at a billionaire's family office. In college, he was presenting his volatility research to a global asset manager. Now, at 34, the Long Island native is running the $8.8 billion hedge fund
How he got to his lofty perch is a combination of natural ability and extreme focus and discipline, said those who know him best. Professors described him as both intelligent and prepared, while fraternity brothers remember a driven friend who wouldn't let anything get in the way of his ultimate goals.
Schonfeld has grown into one of the industry's more prominent multi-managers thanks to years of solid performance, fundraising, and aggressive hiring.
Tolkin is known for being plugged-in but not overbearing - someone portfolio managers and analysts can approach without feeling intimidated.
Now, after being appointed CEO at the beginning of the year and launching a new macro division more recently, Tolkin is riding as high as ever.
- GST Council meet: No new tax on food delivery apps Swiggy, Zomato
- SBI, Kotak Mahindra and others cut home loan rates ahead of festive season
- Virat Kohli's T20I journey as captain is better than Dhoni's
- Gen Z decoded: MTV's latest report reflects Gen Z’s behavior patterns,mindsets, habits and perceptions
- From ecommerce to payments — here are the top funded business models of last one year