Here are the movie sequels that have bombed at the box office in 2016
The sequel to the 2013 heist film earned $23 million in its opening weekend, while its original managed a better $29.3 million. That's not a huge different, but it will be a disappointment to the studio executives who hoped to cash in on love for the first title.
"The Conjuring 2" actually came in first place at the box office this weekend, earning $40.3 million - only 3.6% less than its original.
But most sequels, at least so far this year, have been bombing.
There has long been talk of Hollywood having a "sequel problem" - "sequelitis" as Variety calls it.
There are many to choose from at the theater nowadays. Do you want to watch the latest installment in an ongoing superhero franchise? (Take your pick between "Captain America: Civil War," "Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice," or "X-Men: Apocalypse.") Or a live-action remake of an old cartoon? (It's a lose-lose with "Alice Through the Looking Glass" and "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows.")
Studios are trying to build the next big Harry Potter or Marvel franchise, but not every film can be "Captain America," which has seen a steady increase in its domestic gross since the first time Chris Evans' Cap graced our screens in 2011.
Take a look to see which of this year's sequels so far couldn't live up to their originals. Really, it seems only "Captain America: Civil War" managed to escape this list. But don't worry, you still have "Independence Day: Resurgence," "Ice Age: Collision Course," "Jason Bourne," "Star Trek Beyond," "The Purge: Election Year," "Bridget Jones's Baby," "Jack Reacher: Never Go Back," "Ouija 2," "Underworld: Blood Wars," and "Bad Santa 2" to look forward to this year.
All earnings have been adjusted for inflation to match their 2016 counterparts and are sourced from Box Office Mojo. Sequels that are still in theaters have been compared based on opening-weekend grosses.
- India’s techies are leaving IT firms in hordes — Here’s why
- After a near-record run at the top of Netflix's US Top 10 list, pop culture smash 'Squid Game' has been bumped by another show
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- Best high speed monochrome printers in India
- Best portable room heaters in India
- Best nose pins for those without piercing in India
- Best high speed blenders in India
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons