Here's why tattoos stay in your skin forever
- The reason tattoo ink stays in skin forever has to do with the immune system.
- When you get a tattoo, the ink flows down the tattooing needle into the middle layer of your skin, called the dermis.
- That creates a wound, which your body tries to heal by sending macrophages (a type of white blood cell) to the area.
- The macrophages swallow the ink in an effort to take the foreign particle away from the wound.
- But the pigment in the ink is too large for the macrophages to remove, so the macrophages - with the ink inside - end up stuck in the dermis.
NOW WATCH: Here's why I'm donating my body to science
Popular on BI
- WazirX receives 1023 requests for data from law enforcement in October-March 2022
- OnePlus Pad expected to launch soon in India – specs, expected price and everything you need to know
- Over four lakh people affected as pre-monsoon rains trigger floods in Assam
- LinkedIn is the most expensive digital advertising platform but is it worth it?
- ITC, Bharti Airtel, Indian Oil Corp among stocks to watch out for on May 18