China bans entry of foreign nationals from India citing spike in COVID-19 cases
- China has temporarily suspended the entry of foreign nationals from India into the country even if they are carrying a valid visa or permit.
Chinese Embassy in Indiahas cited that the ban is a result of growing concerns around the coronavirus outbreak.
- While India’s COVID-19 tally is rising, it is also locked in a standoff against China along their shared border in Eastern Ladakh.
AdvertisementForeign nationals in India with a valid Chinese visa or residence permit will no longer be allowed into China.
Those holding diplomatic, service, courtesy or crew (C) visas — issued to crewmembers working on board of international trains, airliners or vessels — will still be allowed to enter China. And, those looking to travel to China due to an emergency situation or humanitarian needs can submit their application at the embassy.
“The suspension is a temporary measurement that China has to adopt to deal with the current pandemic. China will make further adjustments and announcements in accordance with the ongoing pandemic situation,” the Chinese Embassy in India said in a statement.
The announcement comes after India reported the highest one-day jump in COVID-19 cases in two weeks with the overall tally hitting 8.3 million. According to India’s Health Ministry, over 700 people have died in the last 24 hours with the overall death toll at over 123,000.
Globally, India is the second worst hit country after the US, which has 9.48 million COVID-19 cases so far and 230,000 lakh deaths.
Meanwhile in China, the National Health Commission blamed foreign travellers for the recent spike in coronavirus cases. The country reported 49 new infections on November 2 and 44 of them allegedly originated overseas, while the other five were locally transmitted cases in the Xinjiang region.
Among the 44 imported cases, four were recently on a flight that originated in New Delhi and landed in Wuhan. These four were the city’s first imported cases since August 7.
In addition to India, China has also barred entry for residents from the UK and Belgium while implementing stricter norms for France, Germany and the US.
While it is true that India’s COVID-19 tally has increased, tensions have been brewing between the two Asian giants for the past seven months after a clash in Galwan Valley led to the death of 20 Indian soldiers and an undisclosed number of casualties on the Chinese side.
India is willing to challenge the status quo and protect against ‘unilateralism and aggression,’ says Defence Minister Rajnath Singh
India demands environment-friendly technology to be made available at affordable prices to battle climate change
RBI and banks caught in the crosshairs as the Supreme Court adjourns loan moratorium hearing for a second time to November 18
Popular on BI
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- Live your life American Express’ Platinum way: Exceptional privileges, rewards and experiences
- Germany relaxes Schengen visa rules for Indians
- WhatsApp rolls out contact cards sharing on Windows beta
- FIFA WC: Lionel Messi doing well, says Argentina manager Scaloni amid injury concerns
- ADB, Wabag sign USD 25 mn debt facility for sanitation, water security in India
- RBI pauses onboarding of online merchants by Paytm Payments Services; firm says no material impact on biz
- Over 50% of microbusinesses had no mechanisms to cushion Covid impact, Road to Recovery report says