Cooking gas prices hiked by ₹100 this month – check what happens to subsidies
- Government-owned oil companies have increased cooking gas prices by ₹100 in December 2020.
- This is the biggest monthly hike in cooking gas prices yet.
- As a result of the latest price hike, a 14.2 kg LPG gas cylinder in Delhi will now cost ₹694.
- Amongst the major cities and state capitals, cooking gas prices are the highest in Patna at ₹792.
- There is no official information on what happens to cooking gas subsidy benefits.
- Check out the latest news and updates on Business Insider.
Government-owned oil companies have increased cooking gas prices by ₹100 in December 2020. The cooking gas prices have been hiked by ₹50 two times in the last 15 days, which is the biggest price hike in a single month yet.
View all Offers
View all Offers
- 21% OFF
iQOO Z3 5G (Cyber Blue, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage) | India's First SD 768G 5G Processor | 55W FlashCharge | Upto 9 Months No Cost EMI | 6 Months Free Screen Replacement₹ 17990₹ 24990Buy On
- 11% OFF
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 5G (Phantom Black, 8GB RAM, 256GB Storage) with No Cost EMI/Additional Exchange Offers₹ 84999₹ 95999Buy On
- 23% OFF
Redmi 9 (Sky Blue, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) | 2.3GHz Mediatek Helio G35 Octa core Processor₹ 8499₹ 10999Buy On
- 47% OFF
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G (Cloud Navy, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage)₹ 39990₹ 70499Buy On
OnePlus Nord CE 5G (Charcoal Ink, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage)₹ 24999₹ 24999Buy On
As a result of the latest price hike, consumers in Delhi will now have to pay ₹694 per cylinder (14.2 kg). In Hyderabad, a 14.2 kg gas cylinder now costs ₹746.5.
New LPG gas cylinder prices in major cities of India
|City||December 2020||November 2020|
Note: Prices as on December 17, 2020
In the first week of December or late November, cooking gas prices in Delhi and Hyderabad were ₹594 and ₹646.5, respectively. Cooking gas prices remain the highest in Patna, at ₹792.
It is worth noting that these price hikes apply to both subsidized as well as non-subsidized gas cylinders. If you are eligible for the subsidy, you will have to pay the increased prices on booking a cylinder now. We have verified the same on the Indian Oil website.
What will happen to my LPG gas subsidy?
Consumers who are eligible and have opted for gas subsidy might see a proportionate increase in their subsidies. However, exact details and an official confirmation in this regard is not available yet.
Under the subsidy scheme, households in India can buy a maximum of 12 LPG cylinders per year. These consumers have to buy gas cylinders at the full price first, and the subsidy amount is then credited to the consumer’s bank account by the government.
AdvertisementIn September this year, the government eliminated cooking gas subsidies as a fall in oil prices and increase in cooking gas prices brought parity in the market and subsidized prices.
With the market prices increasing again, it remains to be seen if the government increases subsidy benefits as well.
Crude oil prices have increased steeply since October
Since October, crude oil prices have seen a steep increase, forcing the oil companies to hike prices of petrol and diesel, according to an ET report.
In the last one month, petrol prices have been hiked 14 times, increasing by 2.8%. The last time petrol prices were this high was in 2018 when prices hit ₹91.39 per liter in Mumbai and ₹84.06 in Delhi. Current petrol prices in Mumbai and Delhi are ₹90.34 and ₹83.71, respectively.
Indian government will no longer pay out direct benefit transfer for cooking gas — subsidy eliminated as oil prices fall
BPCL cooking gas customers will continue getting subsidy post privatisation but government will not reimburse the cost
Petrol is less than a rupee away from being more expensive than it has ever been for Indian consumers
Popular on BI
- Adobe Photoshop to get a 'Prepare as NFT' option soon
- WhatsApp's chat migration feature to transfer messages from iOS to Android is coming to Pixel, Android 12 phones
- Axis Bank, Bajaj Finance, Maruti Suzuki and other hot stocks on October 27 as earnings season gathers momentum
- Nykaa’s IPO to open tomorrow — check last date, listing date and more
- Best plastic stool for home in India