Coronavirus: Indian government to discharge 220 students evacuated from Wuhan, China

  • Health Ministry to discharge 220 people after testing negative at Manesar Army Facility.
  • This will be the second batch that tested negative after around 200 people released yesterday.
  • At the facility, the students were kept segregated, and tests were conducted regularly under observation.
The Union Health Ministry today said that 220 people who tested negative for Coronavirus would be discharged from the Indian Army facility in Manesar. They were quarantined for the last 14 days ever since they were brought back in a special flight from Wuhan in China.

The ITBP camp released around 200 people yesterday, who were among over 400 quarantined. The government housed a total of 406 people, including 7 Maldivians.

While discharging half the lot yesterday, Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) spokesperson Vivek Kumar Pandey told PTI, “After the final coronavirus test reports of all 406 people living at our facility were found negative, the first batch was discharged today.”

Advertisement

“The rest will be sent on Tuesday and in the subsequent days as per the travel plans of the inmates,” he added.

As the Coronavirus epidemic hit China, the Government of India had conducted evacuation of its citizens in the country. The evacuation was conducted in two phases on February 1 and February 2.

Divided into sectors, and further into barracks, the evacuated students from China were kept mostly segregated. A daily medical examination was conducted for all students at the medical facility in the Army area. All the staff, and health care professionals were provided with personal protective equipment (PPE) to wear at all times.

Advertisement

An officer had earlier said that after two weeks of observation, persons with no symptoms would only be allowed to go home with their detailed documentation sent for further surveillance to the district and state surveillance units.
{{}}